Rainy weather: wipers, windows, heat stops; car starts

Please reply if can help me sort out this problem. When the weather is wet, the car will start, but sometimes the windows, the wipers and the heat won't work. Any suggestions how to quickly fix this or narrow down the problem? Its a 1990 Miata with 105,000 miles. Thanks!

Reply to
bhelgoe

When you say that the "heat won't work" you mean that the heater blower motor will not operate? I don't have a wiring diagram for a 90, so guessing by a 99 diagram, the common point for your multiple problem is-- The Ignition Switch! There is an aux (IG2 on a 99) switch in the ignition switch that is the likely culprit.

Reply to
Chuck

I agree. If wiggling the key makes the wipers work, you've found the culprit. Heavy keyrings are the usual cause of switch failure.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Funny, this is typical of ALL Ford vehicles since the 1960s. They must buy the same switch for everybody?

Reply to
XS11E

had same problem (91 Red) four years ago. Wiggling key solved problem. Knew it was ok if ABS light came on when i turned the key on. .

After a year or so, the problem went away. Go figure

Reply to
coach