'98 Camry windows

I have a 98 Camry with electric windows. The drivers door window stops working sporadically. Usually when it most needed to work. If you put the window all the way down it won't go up. If you put it less than all the way down it will work ok. Obviously this is more noticeable in the warmer weather.

I thought at one point I had the problem figured out to be the switch panel on the drivers door. But the problem has arisen again and thought I look here for some help.

HELP!!!!

Greg

Reply to
Greg Glynn

I had a similar problem on an earlier North American car. It turned out not to be an electrical problem but rather a mechanical one.

What was happening in the low position when the window would try to go up it would snag froim time to time on some wiring thus impeding the upward travel.

Solution -- a twist tie was affixed to a stationary spot holding the wires away from the rising window frame.

All in all I was able to fix it myself saving many coins having a service person try to do it and probably soak me for a new motor or some such thing.

It was simply a matter of removing the door panel and observing what was happening.

Hope yours is as simple.

Mike

Greg Glynn wrote:

Reply to
Artfulcodger

I have the same problem on my wife's 98 camry. Sometimes the window stops going up about three-quarters of the way up. I've checked the switch and it's OK, I've checked for obstructions, lubed everything, nothing helps. I figure there is a short someplace. The only thing that works is to wait a minute, then it will go back up. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Mike Webster

This particular description is indicative of a motor that is worn out, and possibly the current overload switch is gone bad. If there's too much current draw, no matter what the reason, the circuit opens on purpose, to prevent other damage. may it be to a person, or to wiring, or motor or anything else that is protected by the switch.

Some cars of some manufacturers, ( this is not specific to toyota) use a comparator circuit, that more or less measures the current use at the onset of motor usage. If there is too much rise in the current needed to continue operation, it opens the motor power circuit or switch circuit till all cools down. Then, as described, it will work again enough to raise the window the rest of the way.

I will suggest though, that there is some adjustment that is not correct, causing too much effort needed to raise the window anyway. I bet it doesn;t happen on the way down in this particular car does it?

Hope this helps

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®