Salvage Title, please advise

I looked at a 97 Miata today that has a Salvage title. According to Viriginia state law, that means that at the time of the accident it was deamed by the insurance company that 75-90 percent of the vehicle's value would be required to fix it. So anyway, the guy selling the car has owned it for 2 years, put 15k on it. It shows up on Carfax that it had front end damage about two years ago. Apparnelty it was salvaged and fixed. I looked and looked and besides a bad aftermarket front bumper, it looked and drove fine. I called my insurance company and they will not give me comprehensive on a Salvage Titled car. But, here's where I made a mistake. I signed a contract stating that I would buy the car when the seller obtains a valid VA inspection sticker. I know it will pass inspection but I don't want to buy this car now. Can he sue me?? I'm really sweating bullets now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
jchristman

Perhaps you can speak with an attorney about 'confusion of contract'?

But if you like the car, and it drives and looks okay, and it's priced right - hell, why not buy it?

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

Yes, he can sue you. Whether he wins or not depends on state law. He certainly has grounds; IMO, you should buy the car.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Reply to
jchristman

It's only fair that a car be totalled out only once. Otherwise, some people would make a living from milking insurance companies, and you know who'd be footing the bill--the rest of us.

Enjoy your Miata, and just try not to wreck it. :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Don't worry about it. I have one with a salvaged title in Virginia, and I drive i daily with no problems. I bought it to save gas. I drive it 200 miles a day to work. I am ready to trade or sell it. It is a 94 with a new top. I will talke $3,200 or trade for a more comfortable car.

Reply to
SHOOTER