Title for title?

I go up to the DMV counter and inquire about getting a salvage title. They give me a number and a form to fill out and tell me it would be $53.25 for the inspection receipt. My number is called just as I finish filling out the form. I get to the counter that called up my number. She wants $53.25 and a title. Huh? I don't have a title. I'm here to get an inspection receipt so I can get a title after I get it inspected. I need a title so I can get you a receipt she says. If I had a title I wouldn't need an inspection receipt to get a title I say. Oh well I don't know then. I have never done one of those she says. So I leave her station and go over to the state trooper at the dept. of public safety desk and ask about how to get a title for a vehicle that does not have a title. He gives me a telephone number to the inspection station which closes at 3:00pm. It's 4:30pm.

Oh well another day in the Ohio bureaucratic red tape.

Next stop is the inspection station to find out what is really needed from whom as their giberish makes no sense.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Howard, you must remember that they live somewhere in the 60's or 70's still.. a little behind the rest of us.. ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:10:10 +0300, Jan Andersson ran around screaming and yelling:

jan, i would be very worried if certain people from this group were "behind" me.... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:28:21 +0300, Jan Andersson , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

They wouldn't stay "stainless" for long...if'n yuh know whut I mean. ;-P

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:40:30 -0400, travis ran around screaming and yelling:

you two are a trip....i find great pleasure in knowing that people from around the world, that have never "met"(cept maybe phone or group) can get along so well...it is great when stereo-types and intollerance is thrown out the window, and you get to know people...that is probably the *ONE* truely great thing about this group these days... and no, shag and jan, no group hugs...last time one of you two grabbed my ass and wouldn't own up to it..LOL Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Title number is different than registration. Vehicles get registered every year in all states that I know of. That is if you want to drive it on the road. The title only changes when ownership changes. After 5 to 7 years of not being registered most information is purged from the system from what I hear. I have not tried to do a title search on it yet though. Also from what I hear from the previous owner the title holder does not have the original title and thinks it is to much trouble to get a duplicate. In other words they see it as a waste of their time since they don't own it any longer so they want nothing to do with it. I do not believe there is a national system for titles. Each state has their own title system. Now if I would have purchased the vehicle from a Georgia seller where they have no titles on older vehicles and they are sold by way of bill of sale; I would be able to get a title with that bill of sale after inspection at an auto dealer. Basically they check that all vin number match and write down the odometer reading. So in theory I should be able to 'sell' it to someone in Georgia and then 'buy' it back from them and receive a bill of sale. That is a technicality that may or may not land you in court. In court it all depends on the judge determining what the law says compaired to what he/she thinks the law means. I do not care to gamble. It is kind of like each state over here being a country within a country. States don't share information with other states all the time...

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

"Jan Andersson" wrote

[Tommy Chong voice]

Yeah but it's just so groovy here, man.

[/Tommy}

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

Reply to
Juper Wort

No Jan, we the people are doing fine and keeping up with times. It is our Government that is stuck in the muck. If these things were left up to us common people, there would be no need for titles. We would just swap and trade without worry. It is our Gov that wants these things so they can make big TAX money on the repeated sell of a car. I would think that some autos could generate close to the same dollar amount in taxes by the time they are scrapped as the purchase price was when new. Truly a sad system.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

Yup, that's it. Also, the car's registration number should stay with the car for it's lifetime. I've gathered that in the US this is not the case... also, if you break your plate (snap it) the motor factors will make you a new one for 7 quid or so - with the same number on it.

Another good thing, is that you can write to DVLA swansea and obtain ALL the previous documents for your car (photocopy) - so you can trace it's ownership history from new!

Actually, it's kinda suprised me that the US doesn't have a similar system...

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

hmmmm, no answer on that one... :-) funny thing is, i reckon i buy front plates annually, we have to park the beetle & golf up against each other, to fit next door in, and sometimes

*things* happen...
Reply to
Juper Wort

Yeah, those perspex plates are awful! Good old proper post '73 metal ones are indestructible! :-D