This guy really likes his miata :-)

About 2 minutes long, original video and song.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Very droll.

He'll have to watch out though, driving on the wrong side of the road like that - he'll get himself into trouble one day.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Droll. Now there is a term I don't hear in Texas very often, or should I say, ever. Gotta visit the U.K. one day, I used to work with a number of British people who had never been to America before.

We could barely understand each other at first, but once they figured out "ya'll", that "tumping" something over means to knock it over, and that "fixin' to do it" means it will be done anywhere from one minute to ten years, they managed to make it just fine. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

You could try introducing it? Someone's got to!

Come on over, the water's fine (well, in most parts). I'll take you for a spin in my MX5 if you drop by :-)

I'll bet you managed to understand each other more quickly than someone from southern England would with someone from northern Scotland. The accents in the UK are amazing; a much broader range than in the US, despite being much smaller geographically.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

I'll give it a try. No promises. ;-)

I don't get to drive? I think that driving on the left side of the road for the first time in my life would make the ride more interesting for us both, and even more so for you as the passenger in your MX5!

Thanks!

I noticed that. We had a fairly large number cycle through, plus a few people from Ireland, Germany and Japan. One English guy sounded like the typical English King you see in any American movie, another guy was literally incomprehensible to me at first because his accent was so thick, with a huge range in-between.

Of course, dealing with a Texas accent could not have been super-easy for them as well, though Austin is much better on average than when you hit some of the small towns in Texas.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Eric, what part of the UK are you in ? My son is a pilot at RAF Lakenheath. He just sent me some pic's of a MX5 he saw while he was looking for a car to buy.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Mmmmm.... no comment!!!

Absolutely. Try this -

. Geordie is possibly the most incomprehensible of the regional accents. Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

I'm in Cambridge - no idea where Lakenheath is, I'll have to have a look...

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Now that is close, that may be the area he was from, but it has been well over 10 years and his accent faded considerably while he was here.

This guy's uncle is James Galway, and he was doing music-related work at the company himself. The nephew that is, not James Galway, he never did show up. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Eric, RAF Lakenheath is about 25 miles NE from you. My older son and I are going to come over some time in late summer or fall. I think he lives in Mildenhall.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Good stuff! Give me a shout nearer the time when you know you'll be coming and I'll introduce you to driving on the correct side of the road in an MX5 :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

You are on for that Eric. I would like that. :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN