Thoughts?

Any comments on this these windshields? Do they last longer than the average windshield?

January 2002 -- It used to be that unless you were roaming the outback in an armored truck shod with two-inch thick glass, there's no way you'd survive a good shot to the windshield by rocks, bullets or Superman's forehead without ending your day in a world of hurt and a pricey repair bill because of shattered or broken glass.

The days of a shattered windshield and a wad of cash out the window are gone. We picked up a Percy's Performance, Inc. SpeedGlass Racing Windshield and put it through the ORC Test of Torture.

Windshields

1/8" $ 309.68 3/16"$ 348.94 1/4" $ 417.85

valleyboyaz

Yes valleyboyaz. Few owners use their Miatas in competitive off-road racing. We are weird that way.

And they are *still* illegal for road use in April 2004.

Thanks for the price list, but I do not think I will need it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Looks like they're good for drag racing where every pound counts and glass is a heavy part of a car.

Miata is not a best selection for neither drag or off-road use - in my opinion.

No windshield - now that's true roadster spirit!

Regards, Kempi '01 silver,IL

Reply to
Kempi

Living in the valley the average car replaces its windshield at least once per year. I'm just looking for a better solution that won't require consistent replacement. Any other ideas?

I appreciate your insight and pleasant attitude unlike some other posters who I will leave nameless..

have a great one!

Reply to
valleyboyaz

Why??!?

My '92 is still on the original windshield, 12 years and 250,000 miles later. It has a couple of small chips and a bit of erosion (even if I clean it REALLY well, it's not as crystal-clear as it used to be), but it's still see thru, and keeps wind, rain, and bugs from hitting me in the face.

Reply to
FrinkLemur

Pardon my confusion, but what, pray tell, happens in "the valley" to automobile windshields that doesn't happen in the rest of the world?

Anyway, I think that's a major exaggeration.

Reply to
tooloud

[...]

A lot of insurance fraud?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Americans in big campers on the Alaska Highway *will* kill off your windshield crashing in the gravel stretches. Though a bit of the glue stuff will typically more or less permanently "fix" it.

I am unclear about why "the Valley" (?) in AZ would have a problem, but apparently he is really a potential buyer searching for info on it, rather than the manufacturer plugging its product.

It just does not seem that the Miata group is the ideal group to search for info on rock damage. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Frequency of Comprehensive Claims: Comprehensive claims (primarily thefts, vehicle-wildlife collisions and windshield repair/replacement) are 168% higher in Arizona than they are nationally.

Okay.. just in case you are incapable of constructive thought: 168% higher means the average person in Arizona is 2.5 times more likely to replace their windshield every year. ((national average)+(1.68 * national average) = 2.68 times more likely than the national average). I guess now you are going to spend some time trying to find some less-than-intelligent arguement as to why these people would lie in this particular study? or are you going to tell me that wildlife collisions or thefts are the majority of comprehensive claims and windshields are an extremely small part of that figure?

Since you are obviously incapable of constructive thought: The valley is, and I know this is hard for you to understand, in the middle of a

*gasp* desert! Living in the Phoenix metro area.. we have everything you need to almost guarentee your windshield will need a replacement once a year although most of us replace our windshields once every 6 months. I am sure when you think of the desert you can only think of all the sand but I assure you there are rocks everywhere. So far I have lived in the valley 5 years and six windshields have been seriously damaged by rocks. The sand storms, coupled with the highest freeway speeds in the country, can leave your windshield sandblasted and anything but transparent. These two scenarios coupled with the extreme heat and cold tempature swings day and night (sometimes as much as 50 degree shifts between 8pm and 3am) your windshield tends to expand and contract causing large rifts where even small cracks would be otherwise fine in other areas of the country.

Now.. I posted this request in a Miata form because I trusted you guys to give some honest and intelligent feedback regarding this particular question. The result? Only one person seemed to be intelligent enough to answer the question without giving me some dumbass, egotistical and brainless two-cent-response.

How about you do us all a favor and simply unplug your computer so the rest of us can actually exchangen some intelligent conversation?

Reply to
valleyboyaz

But "The Valley" is in California. ;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I *hope* I am able of constructive thought, but you seem to demonstrate here that you are not even able of of analytical thought. The fact that "Comprehensive claims (primarily thefts, vehicle-wildlife collisions and windshield repair/replacement)" are 168% higher in Arizona than elsewhere does *not* mean that someone in Arizona is 2.68 times more likely to replace their windshield than elsewhere. You clearly imply it does.

What the true number is I do not know, but I do know that your logic is incorrect in multiple instances (assigning numbers for the total to each element, confusing claims with replacement - see later on the web page -, etc.)

I have not yet seen a response from the poster you are ranting against. However, less than intelligent can mean many things...

With your hostility, I do not see much intelligent conversation occurring even with "us all" apparently referring to you and the

*one* poster who so far did not yet offend you.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen