Landcruiser window surround rust.

Hi

To cut a long story short, a friend of mine needed a brand new windscreen for a Toyota Landcruiser 1991/1992, on fitting the company left a scratch all around the windscreen rubber when removing the old rubber surround causing it to rust over a period of time. On writting to this company they said it is a common problem for Landcruisers pre 92 or 93 to rust around the rubber surround as they claim a process in manufacturing of the Landcruiser causes this.

I need to know if the company involved statement is true that this area is partucularly prone to rusting, would anyone agree, or would anyone disagree in saying that it was the window fitting companies fault.

Thanks

Reply to
The One

I don't know about Land Cruisers sold in the UK, but I rarely see rust on Land Cruisers here in the U.S.

If you scratch the paint down to the bare metal on any vehicle with a steel body, it will eventually rust. IMO, the rust was caused by both the fitting company and you because the repair was done carelessly and the owner had a responsibility to repair the scratch before it rusted.

Reply to
Ray O

Thankyou, incidently the thin metal line was only noticed once it began to rust just under the rubber seal around the edge of the windscreen. According to the windscreen fitting company this is a common problem on Landcruisers pre '93.

Reply to
The One

Modern windshields are basically glued in place with the trim gasket going on last. A windshield is removed with a tool with a blade that cuts the gasket. Here is a link to a picture of one type of tool:

Or you can google "windshield removal tool"

With the tool shown, one hand holds the cutting blade down in the channel between the body and the glass and the other pulls the handle on the cable so the blade moves around the glass. With the proper blade and with the tool held at an angle so it doesn't scratch the paint, there is no reason to damage the factory paint. The rusting problem may be common on pre '93 Landcruisers that the fitting company works on because they do not have the proper tools and/or skill set. My recommendation is to use a place recommended by a Toyota dealer next time.

Reply to
Ray O