Some rocking

A '91 Miata with around 75K original miles and nothing ever changed with the suspension. I'm sensing a very subtle bounce or sway. Nothing dramatic. I thought it might be my tires. Its perceptible primarily under 30 miles and more so the slower I roll up to a stop sign or light. Its more left to right but its also up and down. Any ideas?

Reply to
Pat

What frequency?

If it's the same as the rate the wheels are turning, it's probably a bad tire or bent wheel.

It could be wheel bearings, but that's usually more of a rumbling vibration.

That would be the first thing to check.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

uneven pavement? maybe combined with low tire pressure? just a thought. dave

Reply to
Dave Hansen

Well, since your shocks died years ago...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yup, his shocks are definitely gone, but it sounds like there's something else wrong. At least on my M1, bad shocks are much more something you notice in bumpy turns (or even bumpy straights).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

To Miata enthusiasts, suggesting the replacement of original Miata parts with stock may not be advised. So if I replace the shocks, would it be ill advised to just get Mazda parts?

Reply to
Pat

The OEM shocks are mediocre at best, and expensive to boot. You can get non-Mazda shocks that are both better and cheaper.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Not ill advised, just a missed opportunity. For the price of OEM shocks, you get upgrade to something adjustable with a longer service life. Or you can buy the OEM shocks under their trade name (GYB/GBY) for less money. It really doesn't make economic sense to go back to Mazda for something like a shock.

Tom

92 Red

Pat wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

What is better than the OEM you recommend, but not exotic Something closer to a normal every day riding street shock.

Reply to
Pat

KYB AGX adjustable, set on "2." For the labor involved ($200-400), it makes no sense to scrimp on parts that will only need replacement again in another 30k miles. Premium adjustable shocks cost little more (if any) than OEM from Mazda, and probably won't wear out within the car's lifetime. As a bonus, you get superior control and poise without paying a ride penalty.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I agree on the KYB AGX shocks, they're comfortable on 1 and they are race car stiff on 8 and anything in between!

Keep in mind on these light weight cars tires and tire preasure, effect ride significantly. Recomended street preasures are between 26 and 32, NOT the maximum tire preasure on the sidewall!

You might want to buy shock 'boots' (protective dust sheilds) also as yours are probably dust at this point.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo