Title Worries

I thought I was finally going to get my Miata- a 96 Montego with the P.E.P. and 54,000 miles. The carfax report says 4 owners. Car, a lease, started out in Wis. then registered in TN. Sold at auto auction (midwest region). Next 3 owners all here in MN. My question: Is TN known for cleaning up salvage titles? Also 3rd owner had it for only 9 months-- Sept 02 to June

03 and put on 4,000 miles. Sounds like a snowbird gone to Fla and back. If they towed the Miata could that have wrecked something? What should I look for? Does this seem like too many bad signs? Owner claims car is mint and price is not bad.

Thanks All, Philbert

Reply to
Diane

Sounds to me like a weekend special. Does it have service history?

jay

Reply to
jay

I strongly suggest you also get a report from Autocheck. While searching for my Miata, I found at least one case where Carfax said a '96 I was considering had a clean record. Autocheck listed an "airbag deployed" accident, stating the car had been run into an embankment while on lease. When seriously considering a purchase, I used both services.

D>I thought I was finally going to get my Miata- a 96 Montego with the P.E.P.

Reply to
DonB