Re: Low compression in 98GT indicative of what? LONG!

> We called the dealer, he says, "Everytime you call there's something wrong > with the car." *GRRRRRRRRR* I wanted to grab the phone from my husband and > tear that creep's head off!

Gotta love those guys. What did he expect? ...an "attaboy" for selling you such a fine automobile at such a fair price?

> There is no cooling off period in good ol' California, of course, so we are > stuck with this lemon! We have only a week or so left on the warranty. It > scares me to think what else could go wrong. Only this time we won't be able > to escape dipping into our own pockets to fix it!

If it really scares you, perhaps you should look into mechanical insurance for another year. It could cover big, ghastly repairs such as head gaskets, and things like that. I suspect that you'll be receiving two head gaskets soon though from the dealer.

Make sure you request all old parts returned. You don't want some shlock in the mechanic's bay putting some of that aluma-seal stop leak in the car to seal it for another couple of months.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

Ok, got the 1997 ford manual out. Compression test chart shows that if the max clyinder is at 170, the minimum is 127psi so, balance wise it's ok. It doesn't give any sort of nominal value to expect. The chart goes from 134 to 250 if that's any indication.

What you can do to check for too much blow-by is take the hose off the throttle body and look for oily build up. There will always be a little, but if there is excessive blow by there will likely be alot, sometimes a puddle of oil. Heavy oil with the compression test can also test for worn rings.

Both coolant leaks are external so I wouldn't expect it to indicate a head gasket problem. However that too is easy to check. You can either do an oil change or just check the oil on the dip stick. There will be a whitish goo on top of the oil if coolant is leaking into the clyinder.

They replaced the intake manifold, which means the fuel rails, injectors, wiring, throttle body, etc etc was messed with. Lot's of stuff here an idiot mechanic can screw up. Not to mention leaking seals, etc.

Try redoing the compression test on numbers 1 and 2. see if it gets better results, it could just be error in testing. If not then there may be a small leak between cylinders, but even so, if it's that small, the car shouldn't be running that poorly. Something else is the likely primary problem. But something may be going wrong there if the results are accurate though.

Obviously the kid didn't educate himself. My first rule is to look underneath the car first. And does this ever scare sales people off.

I won't even ask where a 16 year old gets 9 grand from.

Reply to
Brent P

at 24 Sep 2003, jriegle [ snipped-for-privacy@att.net] wrote in news:3Kqcb.152005$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I second that. Cindy, did you run a carfax on this one? If not, maybe someone in here has a current account and can run one for you. It may show what happened in this car's past.

Maybe he should've come to Fla and bought RioRedGT's one. :-) I believe that one is in better shape..

Reply to
Paul

Hopefully this is the last of the "ghastly repairs" in this car's future. Where do you find mechanical insurance? I didn't even know it existed.

We will definitely ask for the old parts this time. We just thought the intake blowing was a coincidence. But I guess there are no coincidences where used cars are concerned.

Thanks, Vic.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

They told us nothing bad or good about the car. In fact, they told us as little as possible. The salesman said he drove the car for a week and wanted to buy it himself, but couldn't get financing, which was total BS 'cause this dealer has in-house financing and will sell to almost anybody. After the smoke has cleared, the warning signs are larger than life, aren't they? I wouldn't have bought this car. My step-son saw it and just had to have it. Daddy agreed, haggled to get the price down a grand, and off went Jr. with his $9,000 turkey. *shrug*

For all these problems to be occurring, the previous owner must have driven this car with no care whatsoever. The pessimist in me is still trying to find a reason to blame the 16 year old, who is not known for being overly cautious with any material possessions. But I doubt there is any way he could have caused the intake to blow, hoses to crack, and cylinder compression to dip...in less than four days! LOL!

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

I did ask for a carfax report, but it showed nothing serious, or nothing that I could detect. The car was from Texas, so apparently some good ol' boy had fun for awhile. ;-)

Couldn't be worse! Here's the carfax report.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

CARFAX is the leading independent provider of Vehicle History information. Its comprehensive database contains more than 2.16 billion vehicle history records from more than 4,000 different public and private sources. Use CARFAX so you can make a better decision about your next used car.

GOOD NEWS - CARFAX Certified History - Guaranteed! This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000 that protects you from buying a vehicle with severe damage, mileage fraud, or Lemon history.

  1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported to DMV - GUARANTEED! Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported 2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported to DMV - GUARANTEED! Odometer Rollback Check No Odometer Rollback Detected 3. LEMON CHECK® No Manufacturer Buyback Reported to DMV - GUARANTEED! 4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 2 Estimated Owner(s) Type of Owners Originally Registered as a Private Vehicle 5. RECALL CHECK No Open Recall(s) Reported DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 12 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED - Add to this vehicle's history

CARFAX does not inspect vehicles. This vehicle may have problems that have not been reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection is recommended. How CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's history.

Today's leading safety and reliability information for the 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT all in one report. Click on the link below to view your FREE report: SAFETY & RELIABILITY REPORT Crash Tests, Reliability Ratings, Theft Ratings and more...

Year/Make/Model: 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT

Body Style: COUPE Engine: 4.6L V8 EFI 16V SOHC Fuel: GASOLINE Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE Manufactured in: UNITED STATES Safety Equipment: 4 Wheel ABS Optional, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel

Still looking for the perfect FORD MUSTANG GT? Check out a list of them in your area.

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) has had no severe accidents or other total loss events reported to CARFAX from a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000.

No Salvage Title Reported No Loss Due To Fire Title Reported No Junk Title Reported No Flood Damage Title Reported No Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Reported No Hail Damage Title Reported No Dismantled Title Reported No Canadian Total Loss Record Reported

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) has had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported No Police Accident Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 05.Sep.2003 22:12:16. New data will result in a change to this report.

Accident Check FAQs: How CARFAX Customers use this section | Insurance claims on CARFAX? | About accident reports | Accident statistics

CARFAX Help Center | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) has had no odometer problems reported to CARFAX from a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) under the Truth-In-Mileage Act. This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000.

No Not Actual Mileage Title Reported No Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title Reported

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX did not uncover any odometer rollbacks for this

1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803).

Date: Mileage: 03/17/1998 31 12/04/1999 22,284 08/17/2000 32,954 02/14/2001 36,065 06/03/2002 58,962 03/11/2003 72,198 04/22/2003 72,748 04/25/2003 73,045

Mileage Accuracy Check FAQs: How CARFAX Customers use this section | Truth-In-Mileage Act | Rollbacks vs. rollovers | When do you flag a rollback?

CARFAX Help Center | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee

GOOD NEWS! This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) has had no Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON) reported to CARFAX from a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000.

Lemon Check FAQs: How CARFAX Customers use this section | What is a Manufacturer Buyback? | How can I get an inspection?

CARFAX Help Center | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) has had 2 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location: 1st owner 03/17/1998 Texas 2nd owner 06/26/2001 Texas

Types of Owners:

This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) was originally registered as a Private Vehicle.

Private Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported No Government Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported No Taxi Registration Reported

Ownership Check FAQs: How CARFAX Customers use this section | No owner names or addresses, why? | Differences between registrations, titles, and # of owners? | Identifying new owners

CARFAX Help Center | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee

This 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803) has no recalls that still require repair.

Date: Source: Description: 09/05/2003 Ford Motor Company No recalls open for repair

Please note that the Ford Motor Company provides CARFAX with recall information regarding national safety and emissions programs announced since 1995 for a specific vehicle. For complete information regarding regional recall programs or concerns you are experiencing with this vehicle, please contact your local FORD Dealer.

Recall Check FAQs: How CARFAX Customers use this section | Sources of recall data | CARFAX recalls vs. NHTSA recalls

CARFAX Help Center | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee

CARFAX searched more than 2.16 billion records from more than 4,000 different public and private sources and found 12 record(s) for this 1998 FORD MUSTANG GT (1FAFP42X9WF127803).

Date: Mileage Reading: Source: General Comments:

03/05/1998 Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Bedford, TX Registered as private vehicle

03/17/1998 31 Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Bedford, TX Title #18430435858130049 Title or registration issued First owner reported Loan or lien reported

12/04/1999 22,284 Texas Inspection Station Bedford, TX Passed emissions inspection

08/17/2000 32,954 Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Weatherford, TX Title #18430436745080433 Title issued Title or registration issued Loan or lien reported

02/14/2001 36,065 Auto Inventory Weatherford, TX Offered for sale at dealership

06/26/2001 Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Glen Rose, TX Title #18430137052133625 Title issued New owner reported Loan or lien reported

06/03/2002 58,962 Washington Motor Vehicle Dept. Packwood, WA Title or registration issued Loan or lien reported

03/11/2003 72,198 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Pacific Northwest Region Listed as a fleet vehicle

04/22/2003 72,748 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Pacific Region Listed as a dealer vehicle

04/25/2003 73,045 California Inspection Station Eureka, CA Passed emissions inspection

04/25/2003 Vehicle Repair Center Eureka, CA Vehicle serviced

09/05/2003 Ford Motor Company No recalls open for repair

09/05/2003 Consumer resource: Edmunds.com Manufacturer-Recommended Maintenance Schedules

Check this vehicle's service schedules, estimated costs and recall notices at Edmunds.com.

C. Olofsson

I wasn't there to hear the verdict today, but hubby told me the gap was large.

Some more testing is required to eliminate the possibility of

That's going to be done tomorrow, I guess.

I suspect this car was totally neglected. Whether or not that could cause such problems, I don't know.

The mechanic we use regularly. We didn't trust the shop that dealer has a contract with, so we paid out of our pockets for the plugs and test.

with new plugs, if the car was still running badly and

That makes sense. But we just wanted another opinion.

If the

Well...I'm not sure I trust this shop. We have to take it to another one the dealer uses, 'cause the shop that replaced the intake doesn't do such big jobs.

I realize that a 16 year old

No he won't, nor will I. Sick of driving the little brat around! ;-)

I've no doubt they will cover the work, even if it can't be completed past the warranty expiration date. It's future problems that concern me.

That's good! I wish my hubby hadn't been so naive, but he doesn't know alot about cars or what to look for really, and to be honest, he put too much faith in this dealer, which to be fair has a pretty good reputation...until NOW! And we didn't just buy the damned car without having somebody check it. Our usual guy said it looked great, clean and powerful. Then suddenly...

Jr. is paying for any future repairs to this POS. It's his problem now, but I've no doubt daddy feels some responsibility for this since he gave the go-ahead. I say bullshit. Jr. has a job now, he can start taking care of his own business, spoilt little...*sigh* another story for another group. ;-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

So this wouldn't cause the car to feel underpowered and to buck and backfire?

It's all in the hands of idiots tomorrow. We have no choice but to take the car to the dealer's mechanic. Who knows what they will do or tell us!?!?! I feel helpless. I'm sick of driving the kid around. He's supposed to do that all by himself now. *GRRRR*

I think that has been ruled out already.

Yeah...maybe they messed something up with the intake fiasco...

I don't have any reason to question these results. I trust our mechanic completely. He's never given me reason not to.

There was nothing he could have done differently. We had it checked out, carfax report run. The car ran perfectly for three days! Then coolant disappeared. And...you know the rest of the story.

My first rule is to look

Oh, I did that first thing. I thought the car sounded awfully brutal for stock exhaust. Sure enough, looked under the car and it had no mufflers, just straight pipes with factory h-pipe. Took the car to our mech. and he put it on the lift, and remarked at how clean it was! We thought, "Hey this is a good car at a good price...why not?"

Oh, you weren't around during the totalled Honda thread? LOL! How could you have missed it? *rolling eyes* His '96 Honda Accord was totalled by our drunken neighbor while parked in front of our house on the street at 1:00 a.m. It was valued at $10,300. Voila!

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Not by itself. Even if its a leaking valve or some cross over between clyinders it doesn't seem to be that bad. Even my brother's olds with one cylinder way down on pressure still ran smooth.

As far as checking it out, I guess I am wrong. Although the exhaust probably would have had me looking further.

I remember it, but I forgot about it and who started it.

Reply to
Brent P

Well, looking back we always have 20/20 vision...but the kid fell in love with the car and it's a pretty car afterall...Not unlike me and a 69 mach

1...wow was I had there, the car actually broke in two 6 months after I bought it. But I still have fond memories of it!...My first Mustang...

Where is your sense of adventure?

Realy hope all goes fine...

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Cindy,

This carfax caused me several rasings of eyebrows:

Ok, First owner did about 20K miles the first year and 10K the next two. Then owner two goes like 20K and almost 20K miles. Nothing out of the ordinary but if minimal maintenance was done.

So no fleet vehicle right? Now look below at the auctions:

And carfax said it wasn't a fleet vehicle. Did the auction lie?

And a little over a month later, at a different auction with about 500 more miles it's auctioned again. This time as a dealer vehicle. I know,

20/20 hindsight but I would have been weary of this car expecially taking into account your report of the salesdroid's statements. You are probably right, owner #2 probably ran the crap out of it and did very little maintenance, Which the new owner is now paying for. It does not offer much solace I know. Guess he learned an expensive lesson. I learned it at 18 buting a $500 car which lasted a week. The seller had puit gunk in the engine so it wouldn't leak and sure enough, after a week it turned into a colander. With the seller nowhere to be found..
Reply to
Paul

And how did he get that car lol =)

Reply to