trailer hitch on a MX-5?

My partner wants to put a trailer hitch on our MX-5 so our new toy (a tadpole trike) can be carried. I am certain that a hitch would lower the trade in value of the car. He says it would not. Anyone care to comment?

Reply to
wranglermatt

Da'Lan makes a hitch for the NA that uses the holes for the rear tiedown hooks. It's easily unbolted when the car is sold. If you have an NB, I think you'll have to drill some holes. Try a Google search.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I don't think anyone makes a hitch for the NB, because the car isn't certified to pull ANY trailer. The regulations changed after the NA - it's not like the car is much different, but the earlier car is effectively exempt.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I can't see any way it would affect the trade in value but it might affect a private sale, maybe a plus, maybe a minus, it depends on the buyer.

Reply to
XS11E

For my '05 MSM, I bought a Hard Dog hitch receiver from this link:

I had it installed by a local shop for about $100.

There's no electrical hook up because I don't use it for towing. That thought is actually a bit scary since the car is so lightweight.

You can see pictures at these links:

Although these are not particularly good photos of the hitch receiver. I have a Yakama KingPin2 that holds two bikes.

-Bob

Reply to
bobino

'that's my take

barry

marvin sky blue '90

210K and still going strong (and still getting 29 mpg with the magnets)

"i can spell. i just can't type."

Reply to
barry

Hitches are available for all the model years. Here is one ad which shows them all with the exception of '98.

I have no idea what makes the '98 different that all the rest. Or maybe their writer and editor were both taking a nap when this was done.

I don't think that any of the Miatas have actually been certified for trailer towing but it seems pretty clear that weekend racers have been doing it since day 1.

Reply to
John McGaw

The fact that there were no 1998 Miatas is probably the biggest reason.. :)

cds

Reply to
C. Deforrest

I never knew that. Goes to prove that you can learn something every day if you pay attention.

Reply to
John McGaw

The question from the OP was "trade in value", not resale. A dealer wouldn't care what the previous owner towed.

Reply to
XS11E

That's why the 1998 Miata has such a high resale value! :-)

Reply to
XS11E

it can affect the reasle because you can't tell what the previous owner towed. It may of been used just to a bike rack, once a year. Or he may of towed his racing MX-5 every weekend around the country to various races. One will make no difference to the car, the other will put an exceptionally high load that was never in the design thoughts. But you can't tell which.

I'd have very many second thoughts about buying an MX-5 with a tow bar, and I'd probably pass on it.

Reply to
<SnowGhost>

The NB I bought 'used' had / has a hitch. I can say for me it didn't effect my decision at all. The car had obviously been taken very good care of and I (maybe falsely / foolishly) felt that someone who took such good care of the car wouldn't abuse it in that way. It did / does have a hardog roll bar so I assumed a small tire carrying trailer was most likely. The nice thing is that it's hardly noticeable at all. I have no current plans to use it but haven't bothered to attempt removal for that reason.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I have still never seen a miata towing any trailer larger than one used for extra wheels, which wouldn't bother me at all. Probably more than half of the hitches are for the purpose that Bob uses his for, transporting bikes. I hate the strap-on style of bike carrier and the type that Bob has is the only good way to move bikes with a miata, as I have found. It is completely secure, very fast to hook up, and like you said, almost invisible when not in place. I need them myself, both the hitch and the Yakima carrier.

Nice mud, btw, Bob. You apparently don't mess around on those trails.

Pat

Reply to
pws

True enough, but it may well make the car harder to resell, and the dealer will care about that.

Reply to
<SnowGhost>

If the dealer thinks that, he'll remove the hitch and the buyer will never know it was there. Dealers are sneaky that way. After removing the hitch, he can also offer to sell the hitch to the buyer for retail plus installation thus making even more profit on the deal!

Reply to
XS11E

Back in the mid-90s,while heading down US395 near the Canadian border, I saw a NA towing a tiny tent camper of the sort that is also sometimes seen behind Honda Gold Wings and other big cruiser bikes. This one had been painted red to match the car and it really got me thinking about the possibility although I never got around to acting on the urge. But if a motorcycle, albeit a honkin' big motorcycle, can tow one of them I don't see why a Miata can't.

Reply to
John McGaw

I like it because it allows full access to the trunk. Small as the car and trunk are, being able to put stuff in the trunk is a necessity. That's where my helmet, riding shoes, gloves, camelbak, etc. are stored on the way to the trail head.

Since I bought the bike rack, it has not come off the back of my Miata. I ride almost every weekend.

You got that right, Pat. It's called a "mountain bike" for a reason. My favorite place to ride in Annadel State Park near Santa Rosa, CA. There's nothing quite like riding in the dirt, over bumps and down a garden of rocks. Highly recommended for all ages.

-Bob

Reply to
bobino

I remember when Mountain Bikes first really hit the scene. It was either

1982 or 1983 that I was given a Ross Mt. Whitney, not a bad $550.00 present for a teenager at that time.

I beat the hell out of that bike for many years. What is cool is that I found an identical mint one for $60.00. Since I am the same size now that I was then, the fit worked out as well.

This is true old-school; heavy chrome steel, no foot clips of any sort, no shocks, and if you want to take the wheels off, better get a wrench, no quick-release levers here, but it has a neat classic effect to it and it got me back into riding.

Ross was very proud of this line and put a lot of care into making them, it rides smooth as silk, especially for something made almost 25 years ago.

Now I want to find a modern bike with at least a front shock for real trail riding. Do you have any recommendations for a best bang for the buck? I am not up on the current bikes.

Feel free to send me a private e-mail if you have any suggestions since I veered way off-topic this early morning.

Pat

Reply to
pws