2000 CLK430 new plugs at 28K?!

Took my car to the dealer to have its A Service and had to have a few "things" repaired under my extended warranty - shifter bushings, leak in transmission, etc. When I picked up the car the service advisor noted that I needed new front pads (@25%) and new plugs. Had the rotors/pads done as advised as well as an airfilter. Skipped on the plugs - is it necessary - tech didn't note that they were fouled or worn - just following procedure. At 28K for a 2000 are plugs necessary at this age/mileage - thought plugs were supposed to last until 100K?

Reply to
stim141

Our Spokane, WA, Mercedes dealer noted that Mercedes recommends changing the transmission fluid and plugs at 100K miles.\

2002 E-320
Reply to
James O'Riley

Yep, checked the manual but it states that plugs should be changed at 5 years or 100K whatever comes first. Pulled one and at 28K and 5 years and they look ok. Have a major problem with my current dealer - had the A service which was an oil change and a few other things done yesterday. Today got a Check Engine Light. Also tried to check the oil using the dipstick which I know was fine. Today stick was broken at the plastic end and the stick was still in the tube. If it was broken they would have noted it as they had to do an oil change and use the stick. Simple part but the check engine light is unacceptable as is the broken stick. Service manager tomorrow!

"James O'Riley" > following procedure. At 28K for a 2000 are plugs necessary at this

Reply to
stim141

This was a MB Dealer? Contact: 1-800-367-6372. That's the MB Customer Assistance Center for the U.S., they are in Montvale, NJ; let them know what's happened. :-(

stim141 wrote:

Reply to
James O'Riley

The service manager took care of the problem and ordered a new dipstick. Also checked the codes for free and determined that the mass airflow sensor was at it's limit - should range between 10 and 20 and mine was at 20. Since the airfilter was recently replaced the flow probably increated through the sensor and tripped the code. Reset the code and so far its ok but more than likely it'll come back. Thankfully I have an extended warranty and it will cover it as the part is extremely expensive over 300.

Initially the service rep wanted to charge me 165 to read the codes - but I got the service manager involved and he did it for free - no hassle and was extremely nice to deal with. Aside from the frontline idiots I really can't complain. The other dealership in town is a real dog. I bought the car from them new in 2000 and they basically refused to fix anything under warranty. About a year and a half brought my car for service and was given a loaner. During the time in which I had the car we had a HUGE hailstorm and their Taurus got trashed - body damage and glass. Returned the car - first called insurance company and they said it is covered under the the dealer's policy. Well got a call from the service manager demanding that I pay for the damage and threatened a lawsuit. Prior to his call I contacted my state's insurance office and my insurance company and they both agreed that the dealer is just trying to milk me and their policy more than likely has a big deductable but in the end they are responsible. Last time I went back and the dealer never sued or called demanding payment.

"James O'Riley" Assistance Center for the U.S., they are in Montvale, NJ; let them know

Reply to
stim141

Where's the piece that broke off?

Reply to