2001 Ford Focus - catastrophic engine failure at 100,000kms?!?

Last Friday night my 2001 Ford Focus's engine died on me. Apparently, there is a broken piston rod, which ended up causing a cracked block and a hole in the oil pan. The kicker is that my 100,000km warranty JUST expired 1,542 kms ago. This just can't be right! Even the guys at the Ford dealership I had my car towed to are flabbergasted as to how this could have happened and are pretty sure it's no fault of mine. I have NEVER missed any regular maintenance on the vehicle, there were no oil/fluid leaks, smells, noises and no indicator lights came on to warn me of any problems. My car was just at Ford in May (prior to hitting 100,000 kms) gettting the fuel delivery module replaced (for free) on a safety campaign, and at the same time I had them go over my car and do any maintenence that needed to be done (replaced spark plugs etc...$400 in maintenance). My car was hooked up to the diagnostics computer and the only problem they found was that they confirmed my engine hesitation problem was due to the faulty fuel delivery module. I also had just gotten and oil change about 2,000 km before that, and have had it done since that service. I always use the reccommended 87 octane (Chevron), and always check my oil (I've never had to fill it). I am the one and only owner of this car. I drive it every day to and from work (about 6 kms each way), plus I make at least one out of town trip (on the freeway) each week. I park the car inside most of the time and the weather here (Vancouver, B.C.) doesn't really get that bad that it would affect anything.

I'm in for a huge battle with Ford as I was advised today by Ford Motor Company (Canada) that Ford is flat out REFUSING to help me out with the cost of the repair, which might I add is a hefty $8,300 for a new engine (including labour), because I am passed my 100,000km warranty peroid! My family has been long time Ford customers (including using Ford trucks for my Dad's fleet of work trucks), but that's all changing now due to the HORRIBLE service I received today on the phone. The dealership I'm dealing with has been GREAT, but Ford has been nasty.

So, what my question to you is...What in the hell would have caused the broken piston rod?

If anyone can offer any words that would help me in my battle with Ford, I would really appreciate it! I don't want to use the lawsuit card unless I have to.

Reply to
I used to love my ford

Its a disposable car. You got your money's worth.

I'd send it to junkyard rather than repair it for $8,300.

Reply to
news

put a second hand lump in it then u r back on the road..

The cam belt on my 2000 zetec (16v) is guaranteed for 100,000 miles but my tensioner failed at 70,000 and bent all 8 exhaust valves - they did not want to know either.

MC

Reply to
Ford worker.

I recently wrote to Honest John the motoring guru from the Daily Telegraph.

Dear John, I recently purchased a 51 plate Ford focus estate fitted with a TDDI CI diesel engine, when I asked the salesman the mileage at which the last timing belt had been fitted I was told that it had been changed 28,000 miles previously and that cam belts on these models only require changing every 100,000 miles, however in your review you state that diesel belts should be replaced at 35,000 mile intervals.

"What to Watch Out For" "See Recalls. Some fleets reckon on just 60,000 miles for Zetec E timing belts and idler pulleys. *35,000 miles still max for diesel timing belts*". I've checked up on various vehicle forums on the net and so far everyone has confirmed the 100,000 mile interval is the correct one, so is your information wrong?

He was kind enough to reply with the answer: "100k recommended by Ford. 35k recommended by me on basis of failures."

HJ

Reply to
Ivan

I didn't buy a car that WAS NOT "Built to Last". Five years is a rediculously short amount of time to have a car die that was meticulously taken care of. Thank goodness I don't have car payments. Stupid Ford.

Reply to
I used to love my ford

So what are you going to do with it?

Reply to
news

[snip]

The tensioner failed on my UK 1.8l Focus at 52k miles with a similar result. After a reasonable amount of polite persistence Ford agreed to pay half of the cost to replace the engine. I'd have prefered them to pay the whole cost- obviously(!)- but at the time I thought it was a fair offer since the car was out of warranty.

Out of interest, was it the dealer who wasn't interested in helping or were you also dissapointed by Ford's customer care people?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Izod

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your message. Sorry to hear you had a problem with your Focus too. :( I'm glad Ford agreed to help out with half the costs. I'd be happy with that considering the car isn't brand new and is out of warranty.

My car is currently sitting at the dealer lot, but it's a dealer whom I didn't buy the car from. If Ford isn't responsive to my letter, then I will be asking the dealer to get involved on my behalf. I'm not really sure what their obligations should be towards me, so I'm not really sure what is fair to ask of them. They are storing my car on their lot for free right now.

Kate

Reply to
I used to love my ford

ford offered me 50% but I repaired it myself with 8 new valves

Reply to
Ford worker.