190E stalls when turning

I have a 1991 190E 2.6 Mercedes. About 3 weeks ago it started to stall when I was making either a left or a right turn. It starts right back up with no problems. Problem is not every time I turn, only sometimes. Then yesterday I was on the freeway driving up a hill and it did the samething and stalled.. I am scared to drive the car now. This has happened with both a full and half full or below tank of gas. I took it to a mechanic today and of course car would not do it when he was driving so he was unable to diagnose the problem. He did look at the idol and said it was fine though. anyone heard of or experienced this problem before? I dont want to take it to a bouch of mechanics and pay for them to look at it then have problem not occure with them,.

please help

Reply to
ckmccormack

I can sympathize with the mechanic.. it is tough to fix something that isn't broken ;) You might try a "wiggle test" on the overload protection relay. It is located behind the battery along with some other control units. It will be a smaller relay unit with a fuse in the top. Crank up the car and let it run a bit (let things get to operating temps) and then gently rock it back and fort and see if you can duplicate the stalling. While you are there, rock the connector on the other control units located in the same place. The only other thing that comes to mind is a fuel pump relay failing, but until it "breaks" it is going to be tough to narrow down. I did have one that ended up being the engine control unit, but they are not a common problem. You only other choice is to find a compentent mechanic that "wants' to find the problem for you that will be fair to him and you on the price of finding and repairing the car.

Reply to
Gemini