1975 230 /8

Hi!

Looking at a 1975 /8er 230 with 80k miles on the clock. A series 2 model, when my research is correct. driversside ext. mirror

4 gear stick no extras (european model) bookkeeper design :O) Has been sitting for over 10 years now. (garaged)

Now, I am used to the 123s but never had a w115/8! I love working on these guys. What do you guys think about this plan? I now the places to look on a 123... Love to hear from some w115 owners what to look for with these guys?

Needs some body work (rust) new paint...and the usual stuff after 10 years of just sitting. (brakes, liquids,hoses, seals etc.)

Thanks for any comment!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

"Alex Hemmerich" wrote in news:bqku66$793$ snipped-for-privacy@nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE:

Everything you would look for on a w123 + the carb and ignition system.

How much rust does it have?

Reply to
George Mann

...well...has some rust color is coloradobeige 470 when I'm done...it's darkblue 904 love 904 with good crome (like my 123)

apparently...the rear wheel wells have been fixed rather poorly and just brush painted over (some 15 years ago) drivers and front passenger door at the bottom also have rust front spoiler under the bumper has holes in it...mostly at the seams...just like the w123 tires are really more square then round (10 years of non-motion:O)) engine compartment looks good even the underneath the car seems ok going to strip the paint anyways...and fight every rust bubble...at least that's the plan coolant has evaporated...left some ucky stuff could be a beauty again on its 30th birthday but still...I hesitate... is this car ever going to live again after 10 year of nothing

how do you even reanimate an engine after 10 years with no preparation for longer periods of sleep anyways? ok...change all fluids...and filters... do you fill oil into the cylinders to keep rings from sticking to the housing when moving or what? any tips?

i wonder if the oil left in the pan is still able to make its way out of the drain hole by itself...sad, very sad thing is...car is complete...there is not a single piece missing...buuuuut....it's just a simple /8.. is that worth 1 or 1 and a half years of rebuilding? if it will end up like this one....id say YES

alex

83 w123 240D 260k mi 91 w201 190E 160k mi maybe soon a 75 w115/8 230.4 80k mi

"George Mann" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns9446D627895C0gmannricochetcom@66.63.158.11...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich
2nd car was W115 240D (1975). This was the best car I have ever owned. Never should have sold it. It was a slow but ultra-reliable & simple to maintain tank.

Rust is the killer with these cars. In the deisel version the drivetrain is howitzer-proof but the electronics (mainly gauges) can cath you out.

If it's rusty, f> Hi!

Reply to
Eza Gadson