1980 300SD auto tranny question

My 300SD which now has 130K miles on it, has a transmission issue which is beginning to show. When the car hasn't been driven for several days, when I first go to drive it, it takes maybe 10 seconds of applying some throttle before the car starts to move. Then it just slowly starts to move, no lurching, or noise. After that initial start, as long as I use it within maybe 2 days, it starts out normally. I think it may happen more on a slight grade. My guess is that fluid is somehow draining out of maybe the torque converter and it then needs to refill? It's been doing this for a year or so now. No other symptoms, other than MPG seems to have slipped from the usual 26MPG down to about 22MPG. Don't know that there is any relation though. It still has the original injectors and was planning on replacing them soon, as I think that is the most likely MPG issue. Fluid level is normal and was changed around 100K

I have no problem living with the tranny thing Just wondering if anyone has any insight into what it is, will it just remain like this for a long time with no harm, or is it a sign of impending failure, better to address it now, etc?

TIA

Reply to
trader4

I have this exact same problem. I believe it is because the valve body internals are worn out. My tranny has over 200K miles. I already did filter and fluid change but wondering if you have done it to yours recently.

Reply to
Tiger

I change the fluid and filter every 15,000 miles if I have oil based transmission fluid or every 30,000 if I have synthetic in my tranny. I have 417,000 miles on my car and the tranny works like new. It was put in the car at 144,000 miles and was the third tranny in the car. I suspect that the original owner did not understand the importance of regular maintenance. The tranny now in the car was installed when I bought the car so that it could be sold.

Reply to
Paul Fretheim

Taking a long time to go into gear (more than 1 second) is a sign it's worn and other than replacing the work parts there's not a lot you can do. Switching to synthetic tranny fluid apparantly buys you some time.

Reply to
Richard Sexton