1984 300D mechanical question - 300 000km on engine

Hello all

I own aformentioned car and it used to leak one or two drops of engine oil a day (not sure of the exact area where the oil is leaking from). Lately it has increased a lot and to top it off, my gas filter is now leaking. I'd like to as a mechanic here how much labour/cost would be involved to fix both broblems because I'm thinking of selling the car, but if the cost is too hight, I'll just keep the car since I'll never be able to recuperate the repair costs.

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
cheg

The fuel filter, if that's what is actually leaking fuel is not an expensive repair. It's hose is most likely leaking, not the filter. Ask the shop for a repair estimate to repair the engine oil leak, then you'll know. A M-B diesel that's done 300Kkms is not at its end, it probably has another 100Kkms left in it.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

That is, before it may need some internal tinkering. Remember, diesels of this vintage are achieving up to 1,000,000 km as taxis. At 300K km, yours is still a teenager.

Euan CHCH NZ

Reply to
Euan

I have one with 410K on it now. I had a oil leak such as your probably is. On mine, it was the gasket beneath the bracket that holds the oil filter assy on. It cost about 2 hours labor and the gasket/matls. I think, when I did it, it was around $120. May be different with your mechanic. I'd check there first - it presents all around the rear of the engine and drips off the bottom of engine in rear where flywheel is at.

Jim

cheg wrote:

Reply to
jamesski