1985 300td fuel system troubleshoot

our 85 300td was loosing power when climbing hills so i canged the fuel filters,which didnt help.so i checked the strainer in tank ,looked good.after checking strainer it ran alittle rough but smoothed out,then i tried driving it up a mountain and it quit and would not start.i had noticed some leaking from the stock bleed pump so i replaced it with a bosch hand pump,thought maybe it could be sucking in air?now i cant get a good bleed on system,i have even tried another pump.it doesnt seem to be drawing in fuel and when it does it looks frothy or bubbly.i have blown air through the feed and return lines,even replaced the rubber lines at tank.the clear filter is not filling up like i remember it has done in past (when priming).could there be something going on in the lift pump,i can pull the hose off the injector pump coming fron the hand pump and get some fuel movement but seems bubbly.i need to know how to check the fuel sytem from the strainer to the injactors. i am really getting frastrated!!!!!!!

Reply to
cacoagurl66

cacoagurl66

I have been having trouble getting my 300 TDT to start. I have been approaching it as a problem with the glow plug system and spent a couple hundered bucks on plugs and a new relay to no avail. Then, yesterday, after installing the new relay that made no difference I discovered that the short -3.6 cm - piece of fule line between the inline filter and the hand pump had deteriorated and was letting in enough air so the injectors weren't firing. It's so cold here right now and I don't have a garage I haven't even tried to get the motor going.

But I wonder if you have replaced that short piece of fuel line?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
heav

First of all, I'd inspect all the fuel lines on the car. Make sure they are all in good shape. If it looks old and seems wet all the time, change them out.

Second of all, I would double check the shut off diaphragm unit... This is what could keep the engine off or choked.

Third of all, if in doubt, pull a hose off the injector to make sure fuel is coming out.

Reply to
Tiger