99 - Transmission clunk during slowing down

99 Limited:

I've recently noticed a slight 'clunk' (both a sound and slight bumping feeling) from the transmission when slowing down to take a turn or apporching a stop. This only seems to happen when I'm going slow (< 30 mph) prior to the turn/stop. Fluid levels are fine. Anyone have some suggestions of how to start diag. this problem.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Check the universal joints on the driveshaft, and make sure the shaft is able to slide freely in the tranny tailshaft housing; the driveshaft fits in via a splined coupling that sometimes binds.

Reply to
Big Bill

Thanks bill,

I've collected a little more info. Problem happens when:

  1. been driving for a while
  2. only in (D) - no problem driving in 2nd or 1st (or Reverse!)
  3. OD makes no difference
  4. Need to get to 30 mph then slow down gradualy
  5. Noise is forward of the driver

I'll check the U joints this weekend.

Paul

Reply to