300 SD Hot Relays!

Attempting to get my recently acquired car road worthy and have encountered what to me is a strange problem. Several of the relays in the fuse box get hot... real hot... can't touch hot if I leave them inserted. I have several things disassembled at this point and am not sure which relay goes to what. If I let them cool and plug them in I can get all four windows to work. Let them heat up, and the driver's window will not work!

Any thoughts/ideas/help? I have ordered a couple of relays in the hope that will fix it. If not, I will have spares...

Wingnut

Reply to
WingNut

Windows motor do take alot of amperage... which will make it heat up fast... I would check the fuse first... make sure it is the right fuse specified by MB... not too high.

Then I would check the wiring harness at the switches to see if any tampering.

Reply to
Tiger

I would check the electrical systems voltage while running. See if that is too high?

Marty

PS could also be a partial short somewhere.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Thanks for all the responses. I will try some of them out this weekend when I get back to the ranch.

Reply to
WingNut