300D: How Much Damage

I have an oportunty to buy a 1985 300D for $250. The paint is in fair shape. The interor is perfect. The enginr compartment is very clean. The current owner got it from his grand parents who had it since new. It has 266,000 miles indicated.

The problem is he ran it out of engine oil.

I am wondering what to expect for repairs. Is it a complete rebuild or new ceank and bearings?

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Commuter

If it ran out of oil, it was either eating or leaking oil. I would put oil in... add Marvel Mystery oil into the glow plug holes to try to free the piston... spray it in and let it soak.

With the glow plugs out, try to turn the engine by hand to feel if it is really siezed or not... with diesel fuel which is oil by itself... should not be completely siezed.... but who knows.

If you got it free, put back the glow plugs and see if you can start it up. Worse case is you need another engine... used is the cheapest... probably from a clunker that runs.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a '77 300D with 342,000 miles on it. Engine & trans were replaced at around 270,000 miles. I expect that even if the low oil casualty had not happened that you'd be due for a rebuilt engine anyway -- possibly also a rebuilt transmission. These are really wonderful cars and if you do this work it should be good for hundreds of thousands more miles. It likely would also need painting. When you do this, be sure that all the windows, rubber gaskets & trim is first removed and then the gaskets replaced with new (new gaskets =3D a few hundred $$). Mine was repainted, but it was a spray-over. Now the gaskets are leaking around the windshield when I drive on the highway in rain. Also, I have a two spots of rust beginning from below the gaskets. Evaluate the body for rust. Consider if you want to make a long-term commitment. If you do and stick with it -- correcting the issues that will crop up -- you'll have a great car for much less than a new one -- which wouldn't have the same durability and quality. They don't make them like they used to!

Peter Hollings

Reply to
phollings

If someone ran it out of oil it shows they didn't take care of it at all so you have to wonder what else has been neglected..transmission, brakes, cooling system? Sounds like it could turn into a money pit even after a rebuilt engine installed.

Reply to
Shannon Pelley

The owner was driving the car away from the dealer after servicing. The seal on the filter housing failed and this is why the oil was lost.

Reply to
Commuter

If this was the case, then that dealer owe him a new engine... this is part of their insurance policy they got. My friend used to work for a few lube places and if this happens, after lots of verification and hassle, cough up a rebuilt engine.

Reply to
Tiger