300E Rear End Box........?-

About 3 weeks ago i drained the gear oil out of the rear end on my 300E. Th eproblem was I could not get the top plug off and i had to syphon the new oil up through the bottom plug. The book says there is suppose to be sometihng like 32 ozs. in the box. I think I got atleast

25 ozs. in the box. My question to you MB experts is-1. is that bad the i could be lacking 5-7 ozs. and 2.- how can i get the top plug off, its on so tight and I can only get so much puling presssurwe with the alan wrench. Thnaks-Chuck
Reply to
Chuckyg

well, bummer...advice for the next time: check top plug BEFORE...you drain!

the top plug is not only for adding but also for checking fluid level...so it has to come off sometime... when fluid level can felt just below the tob plug hole...its good....if not...add more...

buuut...in order for you to check....top plug has to be removed first...so:

clean inside off plug use a quality wrench (hazet)...not this crappy stuff try putting a piece of pipe on top of the wrench...so you have more power for turning the beast.. u may want to add some wd40 to the thread don't get hurt and good luck,

alex

"Chuckyg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Th eproblem was I could not get the top plug off and i had to syphon the new oil up through the bottom plug. The book says there is suppose to be sometihng like 32 ozs. in the box. I think I got atleast

could be lacking 5-7 ozs. and 2.- how can i get the top plug off, its on so tight and I can only get so much puling presssurwe with the alan wrench.

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

I had the same problem getting the fill plug off my 300D rear end-- the reason it was so tight was that there was NO seal between the plug inner face and the housing, so it was a metal to metal seal. It would not come off even using the proper size wrench and cheater pipe, so I had to get a chisel with blunt end and wack on the edge of the plug (counter-clockwise, of course) to break it loose enough to remove. Before I put it back on I found a large copper seal ring (like for an oil pan plug) to use so it will come off easily the next time.

--Geoff '84 300D

Chuckyg wrote:

eproblem was I could not get the top plug off and i had to syphon the new oil up through the bottom plug. The book says there is suppose to be sometihng like 32 ozs. in the box. I think I got atleast

could be lacking 5-7 ozs. and 2.- how can i get the top plug off, its on so tight and I can only get so much puling presssurwe with the alan wrench.

Reply to
Geoff