300SD: water in tranny fluid, but not radiator?

It is an 85 300 SD. The trans fluid looks like strawberry milk shake. I was toldin this NG that this is the result of a leak of the trans. oil cooler line within the radiator. So I replaced the radiator with a new one, ----not rebuilt, a new one. I have now replaced trans oil six or seven times. Each time about 2.5 quarts drains from the pan. It STILL looks about as bad. It doesn't take long to turn opaque/pinkish either, 10 minutes or so idle time while checking/ topping off the flud level, then 5 miles of driving will do it. How much water does it take to turn it almost opaque like strawberry milk shake? Because after all those flud changes and driving a few miles in between, I have not seen the slightest drop in the coolant reservior level (I drew a line on it). If water is getting into the tranny fluiid, it is bound to cause an apparent leak in the coolant level, right? I can't think of anywhere else water could get into the trans flud than the radiator, right? Is there nothing else that could be causing the tranny fluid to look like this? Is it time to spend $75 or so to have the tranny flushed (which I'm thinking probably will be a waste of money)? Is it possible for the fludi to look like this if it is full of microscopic bubbble? If I let the contaminated/removed fluid sit in a clear jug for a few days, would the water separate out to the bottom? Maybe there is some simple test? The tranny shifts OK. It has always upshifted to second kind of hard, and the only difference is that I am noticing a pretty hard downshift back to first now....seemed that it used to be smoother. I have a new filter and gasket for it, but I am waiiting for the last fluid change--- fluid having cleared---before changing the flilter. thanks, Jim

Reply to
Geronimo

At this point, I would recommend you have the tranny flushed... it is the only way to get it all out.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

To fully drain an automatic transmission both the "pan" and the torque converter must be drained. The transmission's pump fills the torque converter. The TC has a drain plug that's found by turning the engine until that plug is at the bottom of its rotation.

Suggest you do one more change, draining the TC this time and then fill it, run the engine to fill the TC and then add fluid so it's between the H and L marks on the stick when the transmission is hot.

An overfilled transmission is as bad as an under filled one because the too high fluid is hit by the rotating parts and gets aerated and filled with small bubbles. Air can be compressed so the hydraulic pressures to the clutches etc is compromised allowing them to slip.

Over time the coolant will separate from the oil, it's not homogenized.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach