300SD Wobbling Pulley

I'm having a heck of a time finding a manual for a '84 124. All the ones I've seen have been for '85 on. The crappy manuals I do have don't show how the pulleys/harmonic balancer fit together. Alas, here I am.

1984 SD. The pulley on the harmonic balancer for the a/c compressor wobbles like crazy. Oddly, all the other pulleys are rock steady. The bent one is the second one in from the front. I took out the fan and shroud (always a good time). Inside the harmonica balancer's "dish" was a ring of allen bolts. With the 6mm allen wrench, I tested them and they seemed to be all tight. I cannot feel any play when I grab the pulley and try to move it. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say something got in there from the road or the front end damage that supposedly only took out the hood went a little deeper.

Since the front seal is leaking, this will all come apart when I can get my hands on an impact wrench that will loosen the 300 ft/lbs of torque keeping the big bolt on. For now, can anyone tell me if I pull out the allen head bolts around the main balancer nut, will the pulley come off? If so, then I can straighten it. I doubt hammering on a pulley still mounted on the crankshaft will win me a Mensa membership.

So, if anyone can tell me where to find a manual for a 1984 SD that costs less than what I paid for the car, I'd appreciate it. Also, to save me the trial and error, will removing the ring of allen bolts allow me to remove the pulley in question? Thanks!

Reply to
35mmprojection