idler pulley

Do a lot of you have/get squeaks on the idler pulley?

Someone commented about using STP on an idler.

My squeak comes and goes with the weather, and it's annoying!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Scott in Baltimore did pass the time by typing:

Sure it's the idler and not something else. I had a lot of squeeks comeing from the power steering pump pulley, turns out the belt was out of alignmnet. The harmonic balancer started to walk forward because the rubber ring failed.

You can tell if it's the belt by using a bar of soap. With the engine running and squeeking, carefully touch the edge of the belt with the bar of soap. If the squeek goes away then there is a pulley out of line and you should check the harmonic balancer.

As for STP on an idler, I gues you could. They arn't that expensive to replace.

Reply to
DougW

Scott in Baltimore proclaimed:

I had one that if I ran the thing heavy, as in crossing the sierras... if I parked it and the next day was overly wet and cold, the idler would squeak for under a minute on a cold start. I used a mix of STP, Castrol Syntec, and Marvel Mystery Oil. Mostly STP, with the Castrol Syntec to thin it down to roughly a 90 weight gear lube consistency. Then just a couple capfuls of Marvel Mystery to get a bit of quick penetration.

The hard part is getting the mix into the bearing without getting it on the serpentine [which would not be a good idea]. I used a piece of hobby shop brass tube bent just a tad so it could drop just a few small drops right along the bearing face.

Been quiet ever since the first treatment.

I have a new idler and do plan to replace it, probably when I put in a new serpentine at 90K. Or if it starts squeaking again.

Reply to
Lon

I tried to get lubricant into my idler bushing and didn't have much luck. The thing wobbled anyway.

The bushing, bolt and washer are 3 separate parts that can be ordered individually. There is no need for the pulley unless it is damaged.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Don't these things have sealed bearings, probably ball bearings?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

All the ones I have seen just had a bronze bushing in them. When they wear, the bushing and bolt and washer all need replacing.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Will Honea did pass the time by typing:

how much, if you don't mind.

About two years ago I paid about $18 for an idler at NAPA.

Reply to
DougW

That's about what they dinged him for the idler. I got mine about 4 years ago for right at $10 - from the dealer yet!

Mike was talking about a bushing rather than a bearing setup - that I have never seen. I just can't see how a bushing would hold up under the lateral loading and rpm. I did notice that the original one on the '88 had metal caps over the bearing while the new ones had a a seal/cover that were a single piece of plastic.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Very strange....

I have changed a few including my 88's and they all were bushings. The bushing has a big washer or metal cap over the end of it with a bolt going through the middle. I had to buy all 3 pieces separately.....

I think I have one receipt for the bushing. If so it would be part #33002201 bushing 24-025-026 and I had to special order it for $2.15. The pulley would be part #53002905 pulley 07-004-001 and it cost me $23.99.

I then realized when I got the old one off I also needed the bolt and washer. Can't put my hands on that receipt...

This was back in 99.

Mike

Mike Romain

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

I wouldn't say I swear by NAPA, but they are one of the places I can usually get what I need without going to the dealer or waiting a week for the next truck.

Reply to
DougW

I take it you haven't sampled NAPA's "economy" line of parts. Same price as everyone else, but the quality is lower.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Will Honea

Hi Lon, I want to make this mix as I have a similar squeak that I would like to try this on. About what ratios of the 3 ingredients do you use? What weight of Syntec? Thanks, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ah! I see....

So that would mean that the ones I have seen did seize up the bearing and try to use the spacer as a bushing because these spacers have been 'spun' with washer damage and ridges in the pulley's belt surface from the wobble that was going on.

You are right, that many rpm on a bushing doesn't really make a lot of sense does it.

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Disclaimer: As scientific as moonshine...maybe less. I just poured the STP into Syntec until it looked roughly like 90 weight gear lube. It was 5W-40, but I can't imagine that matters. And added a coupla capfuls of Marvel hoping to get a bit of penetration into that very narrow seam around the bearing. More important was a long tube that could be used to put only 1-2 small drops and do it perpendicular to the idler. Seems to work well for hood hinges, etc. and haven't noticed any temperature thickening.

Note you may want to try a bit of rub on belt dressing, as a lot of cold squeak is just worn or loose belt. The rub on stuff is available if you have farmers or other in the area that use it for power take off belts. Never tried the spray stuff from auto stores. Soap works but can increase slip, so if it helps wash it off.

Tomes proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Thanks Lon, much appreciated. Tomes