300SDL W126 Front Suspension Noise when hitting sharp bumps.

Is anyone familiar with the front suspension on the W126 chassis vehicles? I have an 86 300SDL with a VERY loud "clunk" that occurs only when hitting a pothole or a joint in the concrete or pavement. Only quick up and down movements of the front, driver's side wheel causes the noise. The noise comes from the driver's side only.

I also feel a bad shimmy during light cornering to the right. No problem when cornering left.

I have had the car on a lift and I have looked at every suspension component on the car. I grabbed the front driver's side wheel and yanked on it. Everything seems really tight. I even had my brother jump up and down on the bumper. No noise... only "sharp" up and down wheel movement causes the noise.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I suspect it is a ball joint. I just don't know which one typically goes bad...

It is a VERY annoying sound and it makes my Benz sound like it is built Ford Taurus tough (No offense Ford owners).

Thanks,

Craig

Reply to
cdw904

Check the stabilizer bar - it crosses behind the motor and extends forward toward the wheels. Rubber bushing(s) on fire wall could be bad or could have a broken end.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

It sounds like a bad brake support link. This is the bar that controls the forward and rearward movement of the front wheel. The rubber components (three big rubber bushings) deteriorate over time giving that sound.

ROb

Reply to
RobP

Track rod bearing. It's about $100 for the rebuild kit and enough mechanics don't know they can be rebuilt and want to charge $750 for a new part that it's silly.

CHange the track rod rubber mounts as long as you're in there, and you're probbaly better off doing both sides at the same time.

Also called "brake strut bearing". It's a big V shaped aluminim casting and a ball jointy kinda thing wears out. You replace that part in the assembly only then stuff it back in with new rubber.

Took me years to isolate this pig.

Reply to
Richard Sexton