Front end popping over bumps

My front end (driver's side) makes a metalling popping sound when going over sharp bumps, i.e., seems to happen when the suspension changes direction quickly, like a bumpy road or a 20 mph speed bump.

I once had a Honda with a bad ball joint that made much the same noise, so I replaced the ball joint, no luck. Then I replaced the stabilizer links since those are easy & fairly cheap, also no luck.

Any other ideas?

This is a '96 Maxima, 110k miles.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Could be several things. Original struts?

Reply to
JimV

I had an 84 Dodge Daytona Turbo that did the same thing. Turned out it was the rubber strut top mount that had torn and allowed the top of the strut to hammer inside the strut tower. I'm not sure if your Max has this but it's worth shot.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Reply to
john smith

Sounds like a strut bushing. Open the hood, and look at the top of the strut at the shaft that pokes up through the center of the tower. If you need to pop off the dust cap to see it, go ahead. Then push the car up and down, and see if you see any movement from the strut "shaft". If so, you probably have a cracked bushing.

A few things if you plan on doing this yourself. First, the suspension has probably never been taken apart, so you'll find it very difficult to get the strut off the steering knuckle. Second, you'll need to have an alignment done after you replace it. Third, if you're going to be in there anyway, go ahead and replace the strut bearing as well. You'll already be taking the old one out, and it's a pretty cheap part ($12-ish.

My suggestion is take it to an alignment shop with a good reputation. They should be able to replace the bushing, bearing, and do the alignment. Mine didn't cost that much at all, and it's been perfect ever since.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

168,220 miles

Reply to
Bill G

Check the upper strut mounts.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Front sway bar endlinks. The ball joint part of it is likely shot. Check the joint for free play.

CW

Reply to
CW

A big thank you to all of you who replied, and 1000 points apiece to those of you who suggested strut mounts/bushings, as that was the cause. Was so busy looking under the car I neglected to check the mounts up top.

Ed

Reply to
Joe