450 SL subframe cracks?!

Hi Gang, I bought a 1973 450 SLC a couple of months ago, and while doing some research on the net, several sites mentioned subframe cracks. Apparently the problem was bad enough that it forced a recall which MB will still honor.

It was only mentioned for the SL, not the SLC, but I was under the impression that these cars are very similar. Anyone know if this applies to the SLC? More important, there was no specific mention of where the cracks would be found. Anyone here know? It'd sure be embarrasing to be crusin down the road and have the front suspension collapse!

Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, the SLC is included in the sub-frame 'recall'. The sub-frame cracks where the lower control arms attach. The 107 was a 'kit car' built out of parts from other models. The front and rear sub-frames came from the 114-115 body. The heaviest engine in those cars was the 616 5 cyl diesel. So there was no problem. But when the 107 body was made and the heavy V8 was put in, the sub-frame could not support it. Look at your sub-frame where the lower control arm connects at the rear. If you see welded-on brackets then the campaign was done and there was no cracks. If you see extra metal between where the big bolt is and the center curved section, your sub-frame has been replaced. If you see an open space, you need to go back to your local MB dealer. If you don't want to look under the car, go to your dealer and have them run a VMI [Vehicle Master Inquiry] and see if you have an open campaign on your car. The sub-frame campaign was 85-1211.

Reply to
Karl

Any MB dealer can check your VIN on their computer and tell you whether or not the car was checked and/or fixed. Free.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I called Mercedes at Milton Keynes a few months ago about airbag recalls on the C-class, and just the VIN was enough for them to search and report that there were no outstanding recalls on my car. Great service, credit where it's due.

Reply to
Stratman

I've got to agree.

I find it amazing that any car company would still be willing to honor a recall on a 30 year old car. I suspect that if you asked an American dealership to do the same you'd be laughed out of their shop!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Recalls are forever. It's the law! Recalls are not voluntary. If they were, Mercedes should be recalling: 350SD/SDL for bad engines, '93-'96 engine wiring harnesses, and a lot more!

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

yeah, Benz hides behind such terms as "Campaign" and "Technical Service Bulletins [TSB's} " That way, if you kiss there arse, you may get some help...but not usually..

Reply to
AJDalton7