Herbie !!

Today was just too fun !! Although the weather almost didn't cooperate, we had a fantastic turn out for the arrival of Herbie. Rough guess, about 50 VW's of all types lined up for a huge caravan into Pensacola complete with police escort. It was a real treat for everyone to see Herbie and the guys that were in charge of him could not have been nicer.

Real thanks to our club leader Bill Tucker ("Wild Bill" ) who did a fantastic job of organizing everyone and setting up the luncheon at the local VW dealer. It was something to see.

One of our club members took these shots :

Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.

Was it still on the trailer?

Reply to
johnboy

Cool deal. What's the story about the fish bug thing? Man, that thing is ugly!

Reply to
Shag

That is so pathetic I am a loss for words. What kind of pansies started this whole trailer-queen poseur showboat thang? They ought to be strung up by the balls, but they probably left them at home with their boyfriends.

Reply to
johnboy

You gotta stop spiking your southern 3.2 beer.

Reply to
johnboy

Nice Photos. I went to see a movie (The Longest Yard) on Saturday, and they had a big cardboard Herbie on the wall promoting the movie. Wonder if they would have noticed it I walked away with it.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

Ok, The fish car was part of the tour as the company "American Pride Seafood" is one of the sponsors of the movie (if I understood correctly). The kids thought the fish car was very funny !

As for the trailer, Herbie did arrive to the rest stop in the trailer, was quickly unloaded and drove the rest of the way into Pensacola. As I understood, Herbie is driven through the towns but on the long stretches of interstate is in the trailer which was well decorated for the promo.

And Johnboy....didn't your mama ever teach you that if you don't have something nice to say, just keep your mouth shut ????

Bill, Often places like the movie theaters give away those displays after the movie is done showing there. Just ask the manager and they may put your name and number on it and will call when they are done with it. Did this exact thing with a huge Toy Story

2 display from Wal Mart for my son's bedroom. Was well over 6' tall....Was a real trip getting that thing home !! LOL

Reply to
Susan S.

Thanks for sharing your great pix and the update, Susan. Looks like you guys had a blast!

That's a cool idea, Bill! It would be cool to decorate the garage with one of them. Wonder what they do with the posters when they are done with them...?

I don't get this hating on Herbie: Here's a movie that draws some attention to this hobby - What could possibly be wrong with that? So big deal they trailer the bug, wanting to make sure that nothing goes wrong with their multimillion dollar investment. Working on bugs is not their hobby - making money is. What would you do if you had this kind of money invested? The bug has to look good 100% of the time and this is the way to ensure it.

Reply to
Remco

Girl, that's the perfect path to nowhere. Ya wanna be a Pollyana all yer life? Jan wrote above about the engine builder you deserve.

Reply to
johnboy

That is clear to most of us. ;-)

Reply to
Shag

...............You're just about over the line with that one John. Say you're sorry or Chris & Travis will start flaming the frigging $h!+ out of you all over again and I'm too sensitive to be reading that stuff even though I can't help myself and read it anyway because it's pretty good $h!+.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Now if you can't say something nice .... I'll post pictures of my severed left hand part... oh, forgot that's everyday for you. Darn.

Me doubts Chris will flame me for the Herbie thang.

If life looks any dimmer to me soon, I'll be building a Herpies Beetle. Imagine the paint job. And I'll take bids to NOT drive it coast to coast. VW and them drug companies have deep pockets. I'll be rich either way.

Reply to
johnboy

If he doesn't it's just because he's got more important things to do. If I still had stuff to do today other than sit here and watch the race then I wouldn't have said anything either.

Cry me a river. Maybe you "deserve" your situation like you said someone else "deserved" a particular kind of mechanic. Speaking of whining, my hands actually feel great now. Must be something in the por-15 that cured them. WOOT!

Reply to
Shag

...............You lost part of your left hand from herpes? I'm afraid to ask what you were doing with that hand.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

................Maybe the gasoline killed that fungus. Try some jock itch cream on them next time.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Shag" wrote

Is other's people's bad luck your way of getting your kicks? Glad I could brighten your day.

Reply to
johnboy

"Tim Rogers" wrote

I got by touching the hand of an OR tech.

Reply to
johnboy

No, only your bad luck since you come off like an asshole so frequently.

Me too! :-)

Reply to
Shag

Hmm... There's an idea, especially since I have tons of that laying around already. :-P

Reply to
Shag

That's Mister Asshole to you.

Reply to