450 SLC oil pressure, engine surging questions

Hi Gang, Still finding out about some of the nuances of my new ride. It runs great, and both my wife and I are really getting a kick out of it.

One of the things I've noticed is that the oil pressure seems high. The gauge goes to 45 PSI, and thats where its stays when its being driven. Even after its warmed up. The gauge isn't 'pegging', it stays right on 45 PSI. At idle, when warm it'll drop to 30-35 PSI, so I know the gauge is working. The owners manual (generally worthless) does not say what the normal range is. Is this normal?

Another thing I've noticed, which I know isn't right, is that when I back off the throttle, when slowing down, the engine will 'surge'. The RPM's go up and down as I slow to a stop. Kinda dangerous actually because you've got to fight it with the brakes. Its not the transmission slipping, the throttle is actually surging. Any hints or pointers? Don't have a service manual yet.

Also, the idle seems high. Where is the idle adjust for this beastie?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

re: oil pressure - normal guage action/range.

idle: right in front of air cleaner, a big ivory colored nylon "screw " with a slot for a flat blade screw driver.

As you slow down, the tranny IS downshifting, which could cause RPMs to rise momentarily. Or, your high idle is making itself known as the tranny slides thru a neutral position at each downward gear change. Fix the idle first (750 rpm), then see how it feels.

Reply to
Curmudgeon