MPI oil pressure

Have just fitted a smiths oil pressure gauge, and am concerned about the pressure on fast idle at cold. it is 80 PSI and when revved it goes above 100. is this normal as i have read haynes and it says 60 psi when running.

thanks RS

Reply to
RS

that is fine when the engine is cold as the oil is at it's thickest then. When the engine is fully warmed up (cooling fan kicked in at least once) then oil pressure on tickover should be 20-25 and 60+ when *under load*. Oil pressure when cold isn't that important - unless its zero!!!

thanks RS

Reply to
Chris

I agree with Chris, what is it when warm, ? Fitzy

thanks RS

Reply to
Fitzy

I think that I would get it checked with a manual test gauge screwed into the sender hole just the verify what the new gauge is saying, is correct. You could have a sticking oil pressure relief valve.

Reply to
Rob

Read my other reply - check the calibration of your gauge first - then pull the relief valve out make sure its not sticking and check the packing washers (these alter the pressure)

Reply to
Rob

sounds ok to me, if the oil pressure relief valve was sticking it would blow the oil filter sealing ring out, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yeah, that happened to me (or, rather, my oil filter!) too, once. Another time, the gasket between the block and the spin-on filter head blew out after years of trouble-free service. Luckily a 4" diameter oil pressure warning light, with a 21w bulb, in the middle of the dash board caught my attention in time to save the engine. With new shells and oil pump, my motor will pull over 100psi when not fully warmed, but it soon drops... A good synthetic oil (here we go again!) may show less, but hold a more consistent pressure. Over all, I gree with others that it's not likely to be a problem.

Reply to
Paul Prescott