560sl over volt relay got my goat help.

Group'

I have a 1986 560sl, I think that my over volt relay is giving me trouble but have become frustrated in the process of what I thought was a good diagnosis fallowed by a simple repair (replacing the over volt relay). Well here is the story. My ABS light came on and the engine idle went to 1500 RPM. After study I concluded that the over volt relay had gone kuput. After locating it I tapped on it and was able to get the problem to go away. I could start engine and the ABS light goes out and engine idles slow. After a couple of restarts the problem reappears but will fix again with more tapping of the relay. I pick up a new relay at Benz. They sold me a new and improved version of relay with a promise that it would work in my car despite the fact that it has 8 pins instead of just 4. No it did not fix my problem. Tapping on it doesn't make it work either. When I replace the original I get intermittent success. It will work then not.???? I am trying to see if there is some other thing that could cause the problem I am having but seem to be stuck on "it's the over volt relay".

My first question is can someone who knows verify that a part #

201.540.37.45 can be used in place of a part # 126.540.47.45 This part is either bad or is wrong or I have something else wrong with my car that is screwing up both of these relays in different ways.

Second question is what influences this relay to provide power on not to provide power. The way I see it you give it 12 volts and you get 12 volts out. You give other then 12 volts and you get no volt out.

Thanks, Bruce Buchanan snipped-for-privacy@the-i.net najurb

Reply to
brujan

Intermittent relay socket or, wrong new relay, intermittent old relay? Just a thought.

John

Reply to
John Simpson

You might make sure that your battery and charging system are actually working right. Perhaps the system really IS over voltage (15V?), and that is not helping things.

Just a thought.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph