1986 560SL Overload Relay

Hi all -

It's been a while since I have posted here, and unfortunately my post is not to answer the secrets of the mercedes universe. My post is a question.

I am still fighting the good fight with my girlfriend's (now fiancee's) 1986 560SL. It now has a new idle air control valve, injection head, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. It runs much better with no black smoke issueing from the tail pipe, but it still has one problem that is flummoxing me.

The car has an unstable idle and an Antilock brake light that comes and goes. The unstable idle is unstable around 650 RPM's. I searched the site and found a post that a bad Overload relay fuse could cause this. The post was for a 1989 SL and stated that the overload relay could be found behind the passenger kick panel above the fuse box. I looked. There were two relays, but none that answered to the description of an overload relay.

Anybody know where the overload relay is in an early 1986 560SL? Any answer to this or my under lieing problem would be appreciated.

Thanks Howard

Reply to
Howard

Hi Howard,I once had quite the same problem like yours on my 1987 260E.I replace a 10 amps fuse on the overload relay n it take care of the problem.the ralay on my car is behind the battery when u remove a plastic panel left side looking onto my engine.Hope it works 4 u.

joey

Reply to
camle93

Howard, The relay is located just above the fuse box diagonally mounted. Remove the glove box insert, have a flash light ready cause it's hard to see. If you can't visually located you have to feel it with your hands. The relay is silver but has a red top you'll have to pull the entire relay out and replace the fuse, but, I strongly suggest to replace the entire relay. Having intermitten problems would not be caused by a fuse of that relay, but the relay itself. Martin Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600