Time to bring a 73 450SL back to life

It's been sitting (after 300,000 miles) in the garage for 7 years, but still drove it around the block every few months.

Pulled the motor out two months ago, replaced that leaking gasket on the transmission, and replaced most of the front end parts already, but two weeks ago the machine shop called and said the heads were unusable, (had a valve job done on them at 150K) Tried ordering a new set from my local dealer (Craig saz: "No longer avaliable")

If Star Machine can't locate a set of good used heads,(he has one set to check out this week) I'm thinking about dropping by all the local pick n pull type yards in search for early 70's MBz's

I've seen older 450SEL's around in the past, and just missed out on a

71 or 72 280SE with a 4.5L by a few days

Finally my question..what years would have the same injection system as the 73's and potentially the same heads?.................K

(and yes know enuf to match up the casting numbers on any that I may be so lucky to find)

Reply to
ken from calif

Stop wasting your time, buy rebuilt heads.

T.G. Lambach

Located some from Metric in LA for around 1K each....plan on having them shipped to the rebuilder but will lost the core charge

Oh well..K

Reply to
ken from calif