600+hp 2 seaters

With the SLR and the coming SL65 there are now 2 models from MB that are

600+hp two seaters.

Since every model presumably has a target market what differentiates the target markets of each model?

If someone put a gun to your head and said you had to buy one or the other which would you buy?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

and an SLR link:

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

The SL is top of the line for the rich people - maybe already a slight bit too _loud_ in the appearance and so some will choose the SL 600.

The SLR shall be the new super-duper Mercedes, it shall remind on the fabulous Gullwing 300 SL of the 1950's; but indeed it is a ridiculous piece of shit for the _niveau riches_: With the Gullwing the doors were caused by functional reasons, with the SLR it is pure show only, but in that repect perfectly in line with the rest of the car.

In terms of money I would get the SLR - it will hold its value even better then the SL 65, but I would park it in the darkest edge of my garage and never ever take it out, I would be ashamed to be seen in it.

Oh, oh, too clear words today - sorry!

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Hello,

Just wait. More power is coming in the autumn 2004.

The 6-litre V12 motor in S65, CL65, and SL65 is restricted to 612 horsepowers due to "frail" five-speed automatic gearbox.

Once the production of new heavy duty seven-speed automatic gearbox commences, the horsepower figure is possibly raised to 700.

I shan't be surprised if AMG is spiking the SLR's motor to 700 horsepowers or more with advent of new seven-speed automatic gearbox.

That is, unless the Green Party or German parliament intervenes and puts an end to the obscene horsepower race amongst the German manufacturers. Just like the emission control regulations, fuel crisis, and insurance agencies ended the American horsepower war in the early Seventies.

Regards, Oliver

greek_philos> With the SLR and the coming SL65 there

Reply to
Ennui Society

That makes a great deal of sense. The price premiums for the SLR/SL65/CL65 seemed a bit much for a mere 100 or so extra horsepower.

The horsepower race may not be obscene. It may just be a market driven response to demand as well as a necessary buttress to the image these companies wish to project. The horsepower race may merely be exciting or even mildly titillating.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Would you be able to forget that the car was in your garage or would it call to you like a Siren pleading to Odysseus for an early morning drive on the autobahn?

Clear is good!

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

For the money of an SLR (GBP 250K) I could have a Maybach and stretch my legs in it, yay, even lie flat in it, but it wouldn't fit in my garage to hide it...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling