Hey PATRICK - got the '93 Cobra

Two words: Holy. Shit.

There is no way this car is stock. But I'm not sure. Tell me what you think.

First off, it'll rip my stock 5.0 a new one. It is f-a-s-t! After 2,000,

2,500 for sure, in any gear, it pulls like a train to 6,000. The tires break loose in the 1-2 shift at WOT and the car slides out to the right. It's impossible to steer at this point.

235 horse? LOL! 280lbs tq? LMAO! 275 and 320 is much more believable.

But, it has some weird parts on it. Mine has a fuel pressure indicator in the engine bay (WTH?). And it has a C&L air intake - I'm not even sure what the advantage of that is. And a K&N. That baby is coming off pronto! And someone cut the hood blanket out around the Cobra intake.... any thoughts on that?!?! Weird. And what do the stock valve covers look like? My Mustang book says stock was just plain black. Mine are black with red writing. Those gotta go.

And the stock exhaust is gone. :( This car is loud. Good, but loud. Wonder how much the stock Ford mufflers would cost? Think you can still get them?

Hard to believe the car has 3.08s. Again, my Mustang book says a stock Cobra cruises at 1750rpm at 60mph. I noticed today I was doing 1600 at 50. Sounds right. Can't imagine any more gear in this car. It can't grip as is.

Oh, one last thing, there is a very slight electronic whine coming from the car. I have no idea why. It's not the stereo or the heater. Thoughts?

Oh oh, one more last thing... one of the dash lights is burned out. How do you get at those things?

Well, sooo much to do to this car it's scary: a good clean to start and change all the fluids. Except, it's supposed to snow here tomorrow. LOL.

Thanks man.

Talk soon.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Pay much for it ?

Reply to
Mas Plak

Probably. $14,000. But it only has 40,000 miles on it. Wheels need to be redone though as they are peeling and the tire sidewalls are blistering.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Reply to
Clark Kent

Mine pulls pretty good, but doesn't feel/or run any stronger than my previous 5.0 LX. My LX ran 14.2 @ 98, my Cobra 14.1 @ 99.

Both my Mustangs break loose in second, but don't step out to the right.

Mine dyno'd at, IIRC, 227.

Less restriction. I'm also using a C&L. It's a 73mm and has a much larger opening than the stock 70mm.

Maybe at some point it was fitted with a taller intake. ?

Yep, stock is just black painted steel. They didn't use the stock aluminum 5.0 covers because of the roller rockers.

I don't know if you could get them or not. My stockers are still going strong.

I'll check mine number against these tomorrow. I'll let you know.

What kind of tires are you running? Bad tires could be the traction issue.

Fuel pump. ?

Never had that problem.

SNOW?!? Where are you at? The South Pole?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Lol. Calgary, AB. North pole is a lot closer.

I think you are right on the tires. They are old Kuhmo 711s. Not exactly sticky.

But I don't think this car is stock. I've had an LX and GT and this thing will crucify them. The non stock valve covers, the no cats, the fuel pressure gauge tell me something more is going on here. Oh, and there is a hole in the dash, right where one might mount an tach is one is so inclined. Just another thing to repair.

It's an interesting car to be sure. You are right about it being less skittish around bad pavement. A little too much body roll for me though - might have to do something about that. And the black trim needs some work, and some of the weather stripping. And the headlights, taillights, wheels.... there is a lot of work here to make it a pristine car, but, I love it.

BradandBrooks

Congrats on the car!!! What color combo is it? If you ever get a chance post some pics on Cardomain with a link here so we can see her. Always loved the fox Mustangs, hope to someday add a 1993 Cobra. Still dropping money into my '88 ASC McLaren, one of my favorites of all time.

Nick :)

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Thanks Nick. It's red and grey cloth. Talked to the past owner tonite who swears as far as he knows (he's the second owner) the car is stock. I don't think so. It'll rip my old GT a new one. That's not 30 extra horse. So I think the $ will go to the body next spring. And some new tires. lol

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Brad, did you check for pulleys? Removing the silencer in the fender and adding better breathing to the intake helps allot. Maybe your timing was advanced too?

Nick :)

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Pat what year was your LX? Was it a coupe or hatch? Auto or manual? 2.73's or 3.08's? Any of the basics done to either car like bump the timing, remove the silencer in fender?

Thats 227hp at the rear wheels right? What would that be at the engine? Thanks.

Nick :)

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

It's certainly not stock with a C&L throttlebody or MAFS on it.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Here are my RPMs.

5th gear

60 mph -- 1950

50 mph -- 1600

4th gear

50 mph -- 2300

Reminder: I'm spinning 3.55s, stock wheels and factory-spec tires.

BTW, I'm jealous. You have cloth seats. Now please don't tell me you don't have a factory sunroof.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

LOL. All of the above.

I can't compare though I took the car out for 5 minutes tonite and never got it out of 3rd at 80mph with room left to go.

One thing no one has is cruise. Exactly what was the point behind that? Something symbolic that you don't cruise at 60 in these cars?

I gotta get some traction in this car. I was looking at Nitto drag radials last nite. I'm sure they hook but do you know how they are in the rain, and how they corner?

Gotta say, it's a fun car. I really never get tired of looking at the little cobra on the fender - don't see many Foxes with those. :)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Oh, one more Q. I'd like to get some 17 by 9 Cobra wheels... (put on the repos and keep the real ones) but I can't find them and I've tried everywhere. Got a line on Cobra repos for a Cobra?

Thanks!

BradandBrooks

I have cruise control. My LX is loaded with I think every possible option for 89.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Does it have the anniversary rocker panel decals? I believe it was in Roman numerals if I am not mistaken.

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

It has the "25 YEARS" emblem on the dash, nothing outside. AFAIK it was all dealer made anyway, no official package from Ford, so I'm sure there's tons of different combos out there.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Probably the Cobra-only electronics/processor.

You give up some of both to get the added traction. Personally, if I was going to mount Nittos again (I had them before) I'd get an extra set of wheels.

After driving my car for nearly 10 years, I happily trade those littles Cobras for another 100 horsepower. 235 just isn't cutting it anymore especially when it seems everything on the road now days is packing at least 250 and the heavy hitters are 350+.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Well, yes, and no. 235 cannot be right. My Mustang book "The Official Ford Mustang 5.0" says independent tests of the Cobra parts on a GT yield 275hp. That is much more believable. Now, add headers, exhaust, air intake, pulleys, like I apparently have, and you're at 300.

I dunno, maybe this car isn't stock cause it just goes! Unlike my 5.0, 3,000 rpm is fun, 4,000 is where the power really builds and by 5,000 you'd think the world is coming to an end and it pulls like crazy to about 6,000! It's nuts! (You should hear the exhaust at 5,000 - it's almost unholy... animals run in fear, women shield their faces, children cry and the sun refuses to shine. I love it! LOL!)

It's a completely different car than any 5.0 I've owned. Granted, I haven't driven many cars but I'm pretty sure this 15 year old will outrun 99% of what is put out there today. Case in point, I had it in 3rd on the freeway today at 50mph. I just floored it so see what it would do in 3rd. Took about 4.5 "one thousand and ones" to hit 80 and was pulling hard. If I had the balls I'd ride it to 6,000. I'm really tempted to dyno it before the snow flies in it's totally untuned state just to see. I'll bet next year with a tune 13.3 or so will be the mark. Yes, I know that's about 290 RWHP with my fat ass driving, but I believe it in this car.

The Mustang book says the best magazine test they got was 13.75 at 98 in a stock Cobra. The book also says other testers who got low 14s used shift points too high for the best performance. That's not bad at all even today.

Either way, Ford made 4,993 of these babies and that's it. By comparison, Ford made 800,000+ F-series trucks last year. I'll never sell this thing. ;)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

You forgot to include the 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra R's. There was I believe

107 or so made?

Nick :)

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony