76 240D transmission problems

My 76 240D transmission shifts into gear but won't move. Engine runs fine. Is this something I could troubleshoot myself? (vacumn leak etc.) Or is it a trip to the transmission shop (or the parts yard)?

Any advice?

thanks,

Reply to
eitelbach

How do you know it shifts into gear?

If the transmission IS in gear the car should move, if not, the transmission is not in gear!

I suspect the transmission is dry or its filter completely clogged or the pump is defective. Vacuum isn't an issue when the box is as dead as this one.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach