Opinions on this W210 web site

I stumbled across this web site a few days ago. The site creator has some great information there, but the section that lists "common problems" IMO make the W210 sound like junk. It almost sounds as if all of the cars will have these issues and you can expect to fix them during your ownership of the car. The one in particular is the one about the head gasket on the

1996-1997 E320 with the inline 6 engine. It says you can pretty much expect to change the head gasket every 70,000-100,000 miles. Does anyone find this to be true?

I have a 2001 W210 V-8 and haven't expereinced any of those issues (yet), except the sunroof rattle.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The first paragraph on the site reads: "The vast majority of W210 owners have very few or only minor problems with their Benzes. Most of the issues these cars have are minor and are better described as irritations. Some the issues are far more serious, but are relatively rare. Here?s a list of some of the common and not-so-common problems with the W210 E-class."

I find that pretty clear.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

I understand an improved head gasket is available. Plus Benz recommends to fill the oil 1 qt less to reduce the oil leaking headgasket problem. This I find unbelievable. My own E320 w/104 engine has a small head gasket leak with 65K mi on the car. The rusting spring perch is a genuine problem and safety issue that Benz so far has ignored. Same with the wire harness problems of the early 90's 124s.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Reply to
Jeff

That's common to all the inline gas engine MB produced and same deal with BMW inline... But doesn't happen to all engine.... only some.

Reply to
Tiger

Actually, his site listings are quite accurate. If you collate comments from 210 owners, you get an idea the potential for problems in the areas cited. If you browse MBWorld, Benzworld, MercedesForums, as well as UK forum(s), you see a pattern. Most of those listed on eclassbenz are supported by TSBs issued by MB.

So....in the end, you reference the fact that you have an 01 w210 and you've not experienced *any* of the problems listed. That's great. But that, by no means, invalidates those who have.

Reply to
raymond

Ummmm... SOUND like junk? If it walks like a duck ...

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should state the reason I ask is that I am possibly in the market for an E320 for my girlfriend to drive and really like the smoothness of the inline 6. When I read that I was a little shocked.

Reply to
Jeff

Well, from looking at the comments I'd say it's not very well maintained (the site).

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

"It says you can pretty much expect to change the head gasket every

70,000-100,000 miles."

Perhaps it's more like 150K miles before the aluminum head and the iron block's differing coefficients of expansion kill the head gasket. Remember, an in line six is a relatively long motor so a small difference in expansion gets compounded.

Nice, smooth engine.

The site is pretty balanced in its discussion, no car is perfect - some are just better than others.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

"-->> T.G. Lambach 70,000-100,000 miles."

I am not so sure about 150K. I had a straight six in my 300SE. I dove it 260K with no head gasket, valve stem seals replaced twice (or was it three times?) without removing the head. Never replaced the timing chain (had it checked every 50K or so). Only complaint was that I would use a quart of oil in ~1500 miles if I was doing high speed (80+) long distance highway driving, but I am told that is within the normal consumption range for these engines.

It was still going moderately strong when I sold it. I would buy another (if they were available). I am happy with the E430 I replaced it with, but the difference in weight and density took some getting used to :)

I believe this is the same basic motor (different multi-valvetrain head) as the W210?

Reply to
me

"-->> T.G. Lambach 70,000-100,000 miles."

The E320 104 engine is powerful and smooth. My E320 with 65,000 miles has an external oil leak from the headgasket. It's a design/material fault. My '87 300TD had over 270,000 miles with no gasket leaks or problems when I sold it.

Reply to
Chas Hurst