Where do you buy California wheel weights for balancing tires at home?

I am researching the tools and supplies for static balancing at home a

15-inch typical SUV steel wheel and simply ask for advice from those who have been successful balancing steel wheels statically at home.
I already have the adhesive style California non-lead weights for balancing alloy wheels but I'm (static) balancing a set of steel wheels from a Toyota SUV this weekend where I probably would best be using clip-on weights.

Researching the process by watching all the youtube videos on how to use the bubble balancer, the process of determining where and how much weight seems to be as easy as using a traditional (offset) balance scale.

  1. Use the head of the HF wheel balancer to find a flat spot
  2. Put the head on the post and zero the inner bubble with 3 screws
  3. Remove all weights and debris from the tire/wheel assembly
  4. Place the tire/wheel assembly on the HF bubble balancer
  5. Determine balance weight by placing weights to level the bubble
  6. Mark the weight and position of the weight on the tire or wheel
  7. Divide the weight amount in half for each position on the wheel
  8. Clip half the weight on both sides of the rim at the desired position
  9. Put the best balanced wheels on front, and the worst in the trunk
  10. Test drive up to 80mph (if possible) & dynamic balance if it vibrates

My only question at the moment is which kinds of weights to buy. Googling, it seems "Perfect Equipment" sells a lot of the weight out there.

For example, here is a $17 50-piece set on Amazon: 3/4OZ P TYP WHLWT BX/50

But they're all 3/4 ounce, and I probably need fewer weight with better variety.

O'Reilly seems to sell Perfect Equipment weights:

But you have to know what you need as there are multiple types, some of which say "Not Legal For Sale In California, Illinois, Maine, New York, Washington and Vermont" where I am.

Since lead is not an option, there are only "steel" or "zinc". Which would you use? Why?

The choices in "types" seem to be:

  1. AW Series, Steel or Zinc, Coated
  2. FN Series, 5g Steel or Zinc, Coated
  3. IAW Series, 5g Steel or Zinc, Coated
  4. MCS Series, Steel or Zinc, Coated
  5. TZ Series, 0.25 Oz. Steel or Zinc, Coated

What type of weight is used for a Toyota SUV steel wheel?

I know there are special tools, but do you just use a hammer and chisel? Or are the special attachment/removal tools mandatory?

To help you help me figure out which weight style (and sizes) to buy, here is a picture of the current (old) weight on the steel rim:

And here is a picture of the front of the rim on the balancer:
And here is a picture of the rear of the steel rim:
From that little bit of information (which is all I have), do you know enough about balancing to know which TYPE of weights to purchase?

If it helps you to tell me the type of weights to buy (and sizes), here is a side view closeup of the one (old) weight on the front of the rim.

And here is a side view closeup of the one (old) weight on the rear of the rim.
What type of weight would you get for these rims, and what sizes?

AW Series, Steel or Zinc, Coated FN Series, 5g Steel or Zinc, Coated IAW Series, 5g Steel or Zinc, Coated MCS Series, Steel or Zinc, Coated TZ Series, 0.25 Oz. Steel or Zinc, Coated

Reply to
Frank Baron

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:38:58 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron advised:

I found this PDF which has a nice guide that all of you can use, no matter what car you have.

For example, the PDF says all Accura wheels use FN weights, while all non-R8 Audi wheels use EN while all BMW wheels use IAW, and all Buick wheels use MC (and so on).

It says the Toyota SUV uses FN but I know enough now not to believe that. I think the Toyota I am working on uses P type weights.

Reply to
Frank Baron

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 06:01:39 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron advised:

To give back to the Usenet team, to thank others, and to help the next person who finds this in a Usenet search, here are about a score of specific answers that I now know, which anyone with experience could have easily told me (since they're basic answers to a basic question):

QUESTION: *What style weight does the wheel take?*

  1. For the steel wheels I am working on, they take a "P" type weight.
  2. That P type weight is sold in lead, steel, and zinc, coated and uncoated in a variety of weights generally from 1/4 ounce to 2 ounces each.
  3. Since I'm in California, lead isn't an option.
  4. Zinc or steel, doesn't really matter (it seems).
  5. Coated or uncoated, for such old steel wheels anyway, doesn't really matter either (it seems).
  6. The way the tire shops figure out the style is the have a template that they hold against the rim as there are about a dozen different clamp on styles of wheel weights for passenger cars.
  7. In a pinch, I can use the stick-on weights instead of clamp-on weights.
  8. Any tool will work for the clamp on weight but it's best to have a special pair of pliers which installs, removes, and trims the weights.
  9. Each weight is designed for a specific shape rim, so, putting the wrong style of weight on can easily result in losing the weight over time during driving.
  10. Lots of shops put on the wrong weights so caveat emptor (you have to know enough to recognize the right and wrong weights for your wheels).

In the SUV I'm working on, the spare tire is a *different* steel wheel than the other four wheel, so I'll have to check it to see if it uses the same P style weight (but it probably does).

The main question of WHERE do you get the weights, the answer is even simpler.

QUESTION: Where do you buy weights for balancing wheels at home?

  1. You buy them on the web in boxes of about 50 or in an assortment.
  2. You will NOT likely find them at consumer auto parts stores.
  3. The stores (O'Reillys, Pep Boys, Autozone) can *order* them.
  4. But they don't have any in stock where I live
  5. Although Harbor Freight has 1/2 and 1 ounce sticky weights in stock
  6. And industrial supply houses will also stock the weights
  7. You probably need sizes from 1/4 ounce to 2 ounces in 1/4-ounce increments.
  8. You probably want to have on hand at least 2 to 4 weights of each size per wheel (on average) because you often split weight putting half on each side of the rim.
  9. Weights are often sold in boxes of 50 so, like bandaids, your best bet is buying them one size at a time and making your own assortment kits.
  10. Some people collect used weights by visiting the parking lot of the tire shops at midnight, to pick up the myriad stray weights lying around.

I hope these answers help others, as the score of answers above are all basic answers to the original question, which I didn't know at the time I posed the question a day or two ago.

Reply to
Frank Baron