99 C280 Differential oil

I'm trying to figure out how to check, drain and refill the oil in the differential on my 1999 C280. I can't find a drain plug. Is there a plug you use to check the level, draw the old oil out and put in the new oil? If please tell me how.

Thanks.

Reply to
UseNetServer

The drain plug is on passenger side, near the flex disc. The fill plug is on the driver side, just in front of the axle, not very easy to see. Both need a 14mm hex socket. Fill the oil until it starts to flow out of the fill plug.

Make sure you can > I'm trying to figure out how to check, drain and refill the oil in the

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Thanks, I'll take a look at it today.

Reply to
UseNetServer

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

I managed to do it today. Getting the plugs out was the hardest part they are in VERY tight and the drain plug was harder to get out than the fill plug. It would have been much easier if the car was on a lift. The drain plug was on the passenger side at the rear of the differential.

Jim

Reply to
UseNetServer

What did you use for fluid and where did you get it, please? I have had a hard time finding an equivalent fluid to the MB $$ fluid. I will suck if I have to breakdown and go to the stealership!

Doug

Reply to
-

I used Mobil-1 75w90. $9 a quart at most auto parts stores.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I wondered if a 75 was acceptable. When I called the MB tech line, they would only tell me the part number to buy it over the counter at the stealership for $$. The MB WIS says you are supposed to use an 85w-90 for my 99 but I have not been able to find it anywhere locally.

Reply to
-

I'm no expert but as far as I know the 75w is the viscosity when cold (32 degrees F). I don't see a problem using it. If you want the absolute correct stuff you will have to buy it from MB. MB does recommend Mobil-1.

Reply to
Jim