A nice low milage Merc

Apologies if this link has been posted before

Ben '88 300SL

Reply to
Big Ben
2.8M km is 1,739,839 miles for those still stuck in a country without metric... (cough, america)

Wow!

Reply to
Typhoon Lee

Gee... He practically lived on the road... he doesn't need a house.

Reply to
Tiger

It is not clear from that article, but that already is the converted figure from km to miles - so it is

2.800.000 miles which is more than 4.500.000 km!

An article in GERMAN language can be found at

Juergen

Juergen .

It's worse: He has bought a holiday home outside Thessaloniki and therefore money is short so he bought a Peugeot as substitute

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Oh man... he didn't save enough to buy another Mercedes! He regrets it... duh! On the other note, he only changed the engine 3 times?! Wow... that's impressive.

Reply to
Tiger

I couldn't agree more!

And given the fact one could buy a really good used W123 diesel for - say - 2000 Euros... ===:-(((

But of course there is good news: A brand-new C 200 CDI is waiting for Mr. Sachinidis upon his retutn in Greece.

No, no, the story is as follows (DC Press Info): Mr. Sachinidis bought his car in Germany in 1981 with around 220,000 km on the clock, before driving it back to Thessalonica. Here it was in service as a taxi 24 hours a day until July 2004. During this time the owner was able to call upon the original engine and two spare units, deploying them on a rotational basis 11 times in total. (end of cite)

This means 4.600.000 : 11 = 420.000 km each - not bad, but also not good.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Did you see the article posted in a later thread in some local rag?

The facts keep changing...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Ya!? Wow... what a lucky guy!

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, that is the _facts_ also reported by reputed German news mag _Der Spiegel_ - nevertheless I more trust DC here, their info seems to be more precise to me.

If I find the time I will set up a page later where all the info from DC is contained.

Kind regards

Juergen - only needs to clock another 4.400.000 km to break the record... ;-)

Juergen .

I would agree with that.

Except that DC wouldn't be so keen to report on the planned switch to Peugeot which is, presumably, why they're giving him a new car.

(BTW my understanding is that Peugeot diesel engines are pretty good, too. Not so sure about the car, though, even though I enjoy driving them.)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

He is giving them a world-record car so they have to return a bit more than a mere _thanks_ - seen that way I find it ok to give him a C-class, better would have been an E-Class as it is a successor of the /8.

Yes, Peugeot diesel engines are good (and regarding particulate filters they were ahead of all the competition incl. Mercedes) and IMHO the big Peugeots like the 607 are underrated esp. in Germany.

Juergen - OM 616

Reply to
Juergen .

See below.