Alternator "Screw" lower bolt '79 300D

In the course of changing V-belts, I have discovered the apparent absence of the lower bolt ("screw" according to the manual, as there is no nut.) However, I do not have a parts list to determine the specification of the item for replacement. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
randallbrink

Alternators are attached with two lower "pivots" - bolts that must be loosened to move the alternator AND an adjustment Nut on the alternator bracket.

The pivots are just bolts that screw into a bracket; as I recall, they have no nuts. I found it was easier to access these from underneath than from above.

Loosen the pivot bolts, then turn the adjustment nut to slacken and tighten the drive belt.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Feb 10, 1:34=A0pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
randallbrink

Then remove the alternator, inspect and rectify that problem.

Reply to
Tiger

Will do. I will examine and if the bolt has been broken off, remove and replace.

Reply to
randallbrink

Randall, can you put a probe through the empty hole to confirm a missing bolt vs. one that broke off?

A missing bolt is easy - just match its mate.

If the bolt's stud remains then a pivot point remains and, though not specification, works - as you see. To remove a broken stud is a task with no guaranty of success - remove the alternator and struggle to remove the dead stud. And what if you shear it off - then the pivot is gone so the bolt must be replaced by drilling it out and substituting a bolt, nut and lock washer. Not much space to work there.

You know about sleeping dogs......

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

It should have a long bolt going thru the front. #158 here:

Will do. I will examine and if the bolt has been broken off, remove and replace.

Reply to
Karl

On Feb 10, 4:25=A0pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
randallbrink

Yes, that is the one. I will try to match that bolt tomorrow, but am now assuming that it is broken off inside the journal, or else the alternator itself wold have come loose.

Thanks very much!

Reply to
randallbrink

On Feb 10, 4:25=A0pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
randallbrink