Belt sizes for 89 240 GL?

I had to replace the vibration damper pulley on it. I discovered that the new set of belts that I had bought from Autozone are ALL wrong. But they gave me what they show for a 89 240 GL. I found an original belt which fit the power steering /damper pulley, which goes on first since it is the innermost one.This left me with two old belts, however both are just a little too small....that is of course with both accessories pushed in as far as they can go (for maximum slack). This doesn't make sense, I know. The other two belts are: damper pulley/alternator, and damper pulley/A/C. So I can't just take the old belts down to Autozone and match them up. What does the manual specify as the right sizes for the three belts on this engine? (I have tried to get a manual for this car from eBay, so far no luck!) Reply much appreciated, as tthe car is just down until I can get proper belts. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

You should have 4 belts total. One (13x975) goes from crank pulley to A/C. Another (10x850) goes from A/C to power steering. The last 2 (10x918) work in parallel and go from crank pulley to water pump to alternator. For widths, 9.5 and 12.5. For length if the belts you have are within 5 mm of the sized I gave you should have no problems.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi Mike,

My Haynes Manual (for what it's worth............) shows the A/C to Power Steering belt going also to the crankshaft pulley. I.e. all three belt-systems are driven off the crankshaft pulley. This manual covers 240 models up to '86. Perhaps the '89 is different?

Andy I Brentwood Bay (Near Victoria), BC.

| | You should have 4 belts total. One (13x975) goes from crank pulley to | A/C. Another (10x850) goes from A/C to power steering. The last 2 | (10x918) work in parallel and go from crank pulley to water pump to | alternator. For widths, 9.5 and 12.5. For length if the belts | you have are within 5 mm of the sized I gave you should have no | problems. | | -- | Mike F. | Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. | | NOTE: new address!! | Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly. | (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

Reply to
brackenburn

Assuming power steering and A/C, all 240s in North America had belt configuration as I listed. Volvo did flirt with a single belt for power steering and A/C in the early 80s, but they had a nasty tendency to jump off, and there was a recall (or service action) that converted them to the somewhat funny crank drives A/C and A/C drives power steering pump.

I can't imagine where Haynes got that belt routing.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike,

You're right of course. Just checked our '93 240 Classic wagon. Amazing! A/C drives P/S! Never noticed that before.....after eleven years! Well.... these *are* the original belts...... at 220 000 Km. ( I do carry some spare belts. Wonder if they'll fit after all this.....:-)

Andy I. ('58 445 wagon; '65 122S wagon; '67 121(European import); '74 142; '74 145 wagon; '86 240 wagon; '93 240 Classic wagon.)

| > Hi Mike, | >

| > My Haynes Manual (for what it's worth............) shows the A/C to Power | > Steering belt going also to the crankshaft pulley. | > I.e. all three belt-systems are driven off the crankshaft pulley. This | > manual covers 240 models up to '86. Perhaps the '89 is different? | >

| > Andy I | > Brentwood Bay (Near Victoria), BC. | >

| | Assuming power steering and A/C, all 240s in North America had belt | configuration as I listed. Volvo did flirt with a single belt for power | steering and A/C in the early 80s, but they had a nasty tendency to jump | off, and there was a recall (or service action) that converted them to | the somewhat funny crank drives A/C and A/C drives power steering pump. | | I can't imagine where Haynes got that belt routing. | | -- | Mike F. | Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. | | NOTE: new address!! | Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly. | (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

Reply to
brackenburn