ATF -- can't find the information?? Can I ...

I have a 1999 c230 Kompressor.

I'm trying to understand what ATF can be used in this auto.

I've tried to research the subject and seen lots of long threads with often conflicting information from oil companies, "experts", and apparently at least some MB dealers. So I'm very confused.

I've seen claims that some MB dealers use Mobil1 in about everything; I've seen statements that only special MB ATF will do.

Mobil1 recommends Mobil1 ATF for the following #'s: "236.1, 236.2,

236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9". Maybe others too.

What do these numbers represent -- transmission types??

I've used Mobil1 in all my vehicles for years with great success. Can I use Mobil1 or something other than MB ATF in this 1999 C230 transmission??

Is there a source where I can find reference #'s for this particular Benz?? (I tried to purchase a "Shop Manual" when I originally purchased the car in 1999 -- but the Benz dealer said the info was available only on CD -- which he could not sell to me.)

Is my 1999 one of these noted above by Mobil1??

Is there a source where I can find reference #'s for this Benz??

Any help and assistance will be most appreciated.

Reply to
mpxxxxx

As long as the transmission in your Mercedes ins NOT a CVT type, the AMSOIL Synthetic ATF will serve your needs.

A European Formula Engine Oil for vehicle manufacturers that reccomend extended oil change intervals.
Mobil1 recommends Mobil1 ATF for the following #'s: "236.1, 236.2,

236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9". Maybe others too.

The numbers represent Mercedes Specifications for transmission fluid. The AMSOIL synthetic fluid meets or exceeds all of those specifications. The AMSOIL synthetic meets the stringent 236.10 Mercedes specification.

If you have other needs, please feel free to email me directly.

Reply to
Steve

Read the very last line on this page because you have the 722.605 transmission.

I just by MB ATF from autohausaz.com with free shipping.

Do not be confused by posts regarding the older style transmission found in the 96 and older C Class W202. You have to use the expensive synthetic.

Reply to
-

You have to use MB ATFor Amsoil's synthetic ATF. I use the latter myself. There is no ATF that you can use at your local auto part stores.

Reply to
Tiger