ignition timing so far off I can't correct it by rotating the distributor

I have a 1995 Accord 1.5L manual transmission, and I want to correct the ig nition timing of the engine. Unfortunately, the correct setting for the ti ming is outside the range allowed by loosening the distributor retaining bo lts and rotating the distributor. I have to actually take off all three bo lts and rotate the distributor CCW until it's about 0.7-0.8 times the lengt h of the curved bolt slot beyond the end of the slot. I've taken off the d istributor in order to see if there's a way to adjust the rotor angle relat ive to the cam shaft, but the drive connection looks somewhat like a flat h ead screwdriver+screw, so that's not going to work. Is there anything else I can adjust? How did my car get into this situation? It's been like thi s for about 2 years when a shop replaced the timing belts and water pump. Thanks.

Reply to
jfindlay

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

< How did my car get into this situation? It's been

The shop put at least one belt on out of alignment by at least one tooth.

Have a /competent/ shop check the belt alignment and move as necessary.

Reply to
Tegger

+1

GW