Becker Radio Pins on 300SD

I have an 83 300SD and I'm trying to sort out the wiring.

The power connector is good, but I can't figure out the speaker wiring.

Someone has cut the speaker connector and left the ends taped up. Does anyone know how the wiring works?

Reply to
Paul Valois

Joel Johnson

Becker radio of the 80's are two channel radio. So all you got is left positive/negative and the right pos/neg. You cannot hook up new radio to these wires... the load is too high, will sound crappy if you do, and ruin your new head unit sooner or later.

I am assuming you are reinstalling the original radio... so you will need to figure out which is positive or negative by measuring the voltage.

The other reason why you probably not hearing anything when you hook it up is because the previous installer left your fader disconnected at the center console... you know... by your window switches.

Reply to
Tiger

The reason someone cut the wires is because they put a today technology CD head unit in place of the antiquated Becker tape/radio and took it out before selling the car. Check the speakers and see if they are aftermarket instead of the pathetic ones that came with the car. All aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms, and o.e. speakers are bertween 2 and 3 ohms. Since Compact disk has been available for 22 yeaqrs now, and nobody makes cassette (hissss) anymore, most Mercedes owners have replaced the Grand Prix junk by now. It can be removed from the dash in under five minutes correctly. The best approach is to run new speaker wires to each location and bypass the dirt-collecting rotary fader. All aftermarket cd head unites have electronic faders built into them. P.

Reply to
Peter