Best Rated threads in Mercedes Autos and SUVsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

white smoke, not oil or coolant
now im really confused, my trusty 87 300td diesel wagon smokes profusely in the morning when it first starts. smells like fuel burning-like it's running too rich. like some gasket in the injection...
4
4

83 240D ignition key lost
I just bought a fine '83 240D - 4 spd std - but minus all keys. The ignition switch has been replaced and it does not match the door keys - and no key code can be found. The door key has now been made...
12
12

Injector Pump Lube Oil
Lacking a proper shop manual for my W115 240D, I do not know how to service the Injector pump. What type and how much "Oel" is needed, and how do you check the proper level?
7
7

Location of horns on 1998 R129 500SL
Hi Hope you can help. The horn on our R129 is sounding weak. I have couple of questions; a) Is it twin tone i.e. has two horns? b) What is the best way to get at it/them? From the wheel arch or from...

W115 Fender Replacement
I am about to embark upon a project to replace a fender--something I've never done before, as I have always combined my projects to engine and running gear-related tasks. This is a right front fender....
11
11

W126 Vehicle Identify Number
Hi All, Can anyone please help me to identify following VIN like engine model and year manufacture & full: WDB1260226A098453 Thanks in advance Marks.
9
9

E320 surging idle.
Hello: Has anyone had experience with their idle surging ( bouncing) from 150 rpm up to 900 rpm and back again. It started doing this on occasion and is getting more regular in its happening. It is...
1
1

Towing 240D With A 300SD?
Thinking about towing a 240D across the country with a 300SD, unhitching the 240 at steep inclines and taking it easy... Is this possible? Anyone know the towing capacity of a 300 SD or the empty...
7
7

How to drain manual transmission oil from W110?
Hi, How do I drain the manual transmission oil from a W110? I have the mechanics manual for this car but haven't found anything on changing transmission oil. Thanks, kp

Exhaust smell 420 sel
Lately I've noticed a strong exhaust smell outside the car. I can't see any smoke from the tail pipe. Where could the smell be come from?
4
4

Rear Hub Removal? - W116/ 450SEL
Does anyone know how to remove the rear hub on a 116? After removing the centre axel bolt, and then the four other retaining bolts behind the hub...what's the next procedure to remove the hub? Does it...
2
2

1992 400 SE - ASR Light Comes On
1992 400 SE. The problem is periodically when I start the car the ASR light comes and I shift into gear the car does not move adequately, very slow. Pressing the gas pedal way down, the engine does...

C230 Check Engine Light
I have a 1999 C230. The check engine light is on. When excellerating, the car seems to loose power and at idle the engine seems to be misfiring. When I turn off the car and re-start it, it idles fine....
2
2

Diesel Cetane Booster, 1986 300SDL
It's been very cold this week and I added some cetane booster to my fuel. I think I added too much, about 50 gals worth for the 25 gallons in my tank. Is this bad for the car? Anyhow, I've had the car...
1
1

Code Number for Car Type
I have a 1998 C230. I see all kinds of "W"xxx numbers designated for the different models. How does one know what code number a car is? TIA Davehd
18
18

Water in 280e
Just seen a nice 1985 280e for sale. The only problem I can find is a v damp front passenger carpet. I've read a few problems where the sunroof drains and various other causes are cited. How serious a...
1
1

Engine and Transmission swap
Here is a hugh question that maybe someone can give me a heads up on: How difficult is it to swap the engine and transmission from (example) 1990 300E into a 1976 450 SL? Are there any models that...
2
2

Depreciation curve for SL500-Maximizing fun/minimizing loss
After getting divorced, I decided to really splurge and get my dream car, since my ex always got the new cars in the past. I have owned a 2005 SL500 since Sept. 2004, and have enjoyed my experience. I...
8
8

85' 300D starting problems
Hello, I thought I'd throw this problem into this group to see if someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. So here's the problem: Several days ago I went out to the car (1985 300D in...
9
9

W220 S CLASS poor throttle respond
Hi all, Yesterday an S320 came and complains about poor throttle respond, i drove the car and found that the car's mileage is only 10000 km and needs some minor service.... after some servicing like...