C230 '98 MB Tires??

We have somewhat of a bouncy ride here in California. Just wonder what tires are recommended on freeway driving typical to California. We bought our MB used and it has good looking tires.. but I know they are made in Japan or Korea. Thanks.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

You won't have a bouncy ride with Michelins; MXV4's are recommended. You probably have Kumho tires which aren't recommended for winter driving where there's ice and snow.

Reply to
James O'Riley

The roads here in CA are getting poor, especially this year due to the heavy rains.

With respect to the tires be sure they're correctly inflated and, if you choose to buy new ones, be sure the new shoes are the correct size for this car. Low profile xxx-45 or xxx-55 ride harder, but corner quicker, than, vs. say, xxx-65 tires.

IMHO late model cars are sold with tires that are too wide and have too low profiles for a good ride. In fact the '07 S-Class information even contains a disclosure the its low profile tire rider harder and wear out sooner than higher profile tires - but no alternative is offered!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Well Larry, the main issue here is how do you quiet down the bouncy roads in Ca. If you can get rid of the earthquakes, the roads will be less bouncy and so will the car rides. Or you could try to make some new type tires that are like very large water bags which are only partialy filled. So the car can sort of float over the bouncy tremblors. Other than that, I suggest Michelein tyres which are sold in the US as tires. And most are made in the US as it is cheaper to do that than import them.

NOW TGL, what about those tyres on the 07 S Klass - are the 19" ones the ones that wear out faster? Ole foxy salesman said the thin 19" tyres are standard. So I looked at the invoice and it said otherwise. So I left and may go back if they have a salesman not quite so foxy.

mcbrue helpingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

In Europe, the standard "tire" size is 235/55/17 for the smaller engine cars (which all are not available in the US) but even S500 (equals S550) has this size standard. S600 has 255 front, 275 rear/45/18 standard.

And roads e.g. in Germany are perfect IMHO (I'm not living there).

I thought the MB USA warning about rough ride and tyre ware was for the AMG package (has lower tyre profile than the standard S550).

Reply to
Me

Yep your right... Kumhos is what we have. I guess we'll use them till they are worn enough to take off.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Hey McBrue. Are you lookin' at that thar new S klass fer real? If'in so, ask that thar sales feller about failures with the new fangled water-cooled alternator-thingy. I haven't seen one of 'em myself, but I've heard tell that thar's such a critter in that S klass likin' them fellars at BMdoubleU have an' they ain't holdin' out to good.

Josh in his air-cooled trailer by the stream

Reply to
Josh

Gud Griefffff !!!! Whut kinda power level duz them thangs have whut ya needs a water cooled alternator!!???!!!?? Course if its ta power a beer keg kooler for tha bak seat where tha boyz in tha bak kin party on ....

mcbrue poweringuply under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

McBrue: Trucks are chewing up the roads faster than we can fix them.

larry

Reply to
Larry

So are people who can't seem to drive without studs! Many drive with them year round. I'm 76 and have never used chains or studs and we get plenty of ice and snow in north Idaho!

Reply to
James O'Riley

In article , James O'Riley them year round. I'm 76 and have never used chains or studs and we get

Studs and chains are illegal here in Canada, the ice and snow capital of North America. Soemhow life goes on.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

On 2006-04-08 07:33:59 -0700, James O'Riley them year round. I'm 76 and have never used chains or studs and we get

No shit! I grew up in Buffalo NY, where it's illegal to run studded tires. I now live in Seattle where it barely ever snows, and I hear those suckers tearing up the pavement well into april!

What a bunch of morons! I guess they "need" them to ski 3 times a winter. Sheesh.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph