Snow tires.....

Hey all;

I just purchased some used Snow tires/rims. When I was looking to purchase new ones they recommended 195/65/R15. The snows I bought are 195/60/R15.

I have a 98 S70 T5SE with 16" tires/wheels. Are these okay to put on the car? Will my speedo read wrong since they are smaller?

Thanks in Advance! Steve

Reply to
Steve

What size are your original tires? If they're 205/55/16, then the proper minus one size would be 195/65/15. With 195/60/15 your speedo and odo will be off by almost 3%. Not ideal, but it'll work I guess.

Also, not sure why anyone would want used winter tires, unless they were almost free. By the time winter tires are 50% worn they become ineffective in snow and need to be changed, so hopefully the ones you bought are almost new.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

With a S70 T5 are you sure that the 15" rims will clear the front brake calipers? My 2001 V70 T5 requires 16" rims or larger for that reason.

195/60/R15.

ineffective

Reply to
<tefgaf

AFAIK, your car has slightly bigger brakes. I see places like TireRack recommend both 15" and 16" winter rim/tire packages for the '98 S70 T5, and I'm pretty sure they've verified this.

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Same for year 1999 (don't know for 1998): 15 inch rims are not allowed on T5. They may fit, but surely dangerous...

Reply to
dontwritetothis

I use that size on my 850 for snows and summer. It came with that size from the factory, so I think you're OK.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

My original tire size was 205/50/16 on my 95 850 turbo. I run 195/60/15 snows without any problem. Spedo difference is insignificant.

195/60/R15.
Reply to
Me

Yup the orig tires on the car are 205/55/16. Volvo recommended the

195/65/15.

They were used 1/2 a winter. They have tonnes of meat left on them.

I got them cheaper than a new set of rims/wheel covers are (even if the tires were crap, the rims were still a steal), I will go up a size when the tires need replacing.

Thanks. Steve

195/60/R15.

ineffective

Reply to
Steve

15" no problem on my '98 T5. It has the same brakes as all the 850s.
Reply to
Mike F