C280 radio problem

I have a 1999 C280 Sport with the Bose radio package. This morning when I turned the radio on a loud shriek came out and would not stop. This noise is constant and covers up the radio station (which can still be heard vaguely in the background). The noise is nearly as loud as the fire alarm in my house. I turn the radio off the shrieking stops.

Any Ideas?

TIA, EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Mmm... sounds like you got EMF problem on the car. Do a test... bring a portable radio into the car... with the car factory radio off... turn the car on and listen to the portable radio... does it shriek too?

If yes, then you got some electrical problem in engine... maybe spark plug wire.

If no, then the radio need repair.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for your reply. I tried my portable and it did not make any noise. Then I went for a drive and the car radio still screeched. After I went into a store and started to drive home the radio cleared up. Go Figure!!

It has rained here for the past three days and the car was outside. Now the weather is dry...perhaps something dried out.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks EJ > Mmm... sounds like you got EMF problem on the car. Do a test... bring a

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Mmm... probably a ground issue. I would sand the contacts clean on the battery... both side and at the alternator if you are handy...

Please keep the battery disconnected when you do the alternator contacts. Use sandpaper to clean it until shiny.

Reply to
Tiger

Ernie... are you the one whose mechanic changed the battery while the engine is running?

Reply to
Tiger